Before we had Max, and when Abbey was still very young, we had big plans. We had planned to live outside of the country, and teach our kids about the rest of the world.
We tried that in 2008...almost exactly to the date. I still think every day how I wish it would have worked out. I know now, we needed to come home. We needed Max to get a g-tube. We needed to get his seizures under control. We needed to be closer for Abbey. Lots of reasons.
But still...wished...hoped...dreamed.
Since returning in July 2008 from California, I haven't traveled anywhere. I needed to get Max strong. I needed to regroup from all the moving. I needed to get my CNA certification.
I just needed to be.
Until late last year. I was done just being. So Steve nudged me to go on some trips. I had never been away from Max that I couldn't just rush to him if I needed. I don't like being away from him and Steve. But, I knew I needed to get away for a bit.
So, my friend Gwen offered up her lovely home for my first time away. It was perfect! Good friends, good visit. Short enough to wish for more. But long enough to know I could make it away from Max and Steve.
Then, we decided on a birthday trip. This time, a longer time away, and a further distance. But still not with Max or Steve. I've been telling my friend Kris for years, the first time I go to Paris, I would go with her. Paris is to her, like London is to me. Unexplainable love for a place. So who better to see a new place with?
It has taken a lot of planning. And a lot of letting go of how I do things...with Max particularly...and a lot of being selfish to go.
My husband is the best of the best to give me this gift of travel. I still wish...that one day we'll get to travel together again. But I feel pretty loved and appreciated that he insists that I continue to go...to travel and dream.
And maybe to be a little selfish, so I can continue to be the best mom to Max...and of course...the best wife too!
5 comments:
I am SOOOOO excited for you. I think you will be surprised how much your batteries will be recharged! You know, even our one night away was amazing. You're going to have such a fun time!
How exciting! I hope you have a wonderful trip. Please don't think of it as selfish. You need a break to recharge in order to keep taking care of Max. You're actually helping him by getting away every now and then, right? Bon voyage!
I hear ya ladies...Each night this week as I've been getting up with him all night, I have actually thought...soon I'll have a whole week of sleep, just hope I CAN sleep!!!
Jo, I'm heading over to your blog...please feel free to check out Max's blog too. There is a button on the side of this page.
What a wonderful Birthday gift!! YEAH!!!!You deserve to be "selfish" and enjoy your alone time to reboot your mind, body and soul! and come back to your family rested and energized to give even more! It's a bonus that it will be Steve that will be taking care of Max and create some bonding time just the two of them! My husband survived a whole weekend without me and appreciated me even more when I was back home...hi! hi! imagine a whole week!! ENJOY, have fun my friend..YOU DESERVE IT!!! One day it will be you and Steve going away for a few days as a couple!..If we would be close...I would take care of Max while you were away and have him bond and play with his little Cobalamin-C cousin..Marc-Antony!
Ray, I am really excited! I know you would watch Max for us..and you are completely -- more than -- qualified!!!!
Post a Comment