We got our Wii Fit while we were living in California. I initially wanted to get it for me to get to work out some while being at home with Max. But it also quickly became a way to burn off Abbey's pent up summer-vacation energy! It's still one of her favorite Wii games.
I've often been asked if the Wii Fit actually works. I would say, yes and no. You can cheat with every single workout and game. So if you don't put all of your effort into it, as if you were at the gym, then it likely won't work. But, if you really put effort into it, and focus on the correct moves, balance, and breathing, then yes it does work.
In the summer we walk/run quite a bit with the kids. Every day we're taking at least a mile walk. But in the winter, it's really hard to get motivated to bundle up and get out in the cold! So when I started this up a couple of weeks ago, I really felt it the first couple of days. I had lunges in my workout last week, and I felt it for DAYS afterwords. It really is strange that a video game can cause so much
I can't take Max to the gym, and it isn't my favorite way to work-out anyway. And it's so cold right now, that taking him with me for a run would mean he would be pretty uncomfortably bundled up.
Yesterday, I wasn't feeling like a full workout, so I did the "free-step" aerobics. This workout is done by keeping beat with the Wii remote's tone, kind of like a metronome, and I can flip the tv on for the duration of the workout. It starts and I step on and off, side to side, arms up and down. All the while, Max was able to watch his cartoons and eat. When I was done, I had taken over 1,000 steps (because I sped up the beat quite a bit), and he had finished eating.
It's a bit of an investment at the beginning, first you have the Wii System, which runs about $220. Then the Wii Fit Plus and Balance Board, which runs about $150.
But, it has been a good investment for us. Considering the amount of monthly/yearly gym memberships, and we've had it for 2 years now, we've paid for it over and again! And hopefully it will help when I get back from a week eating croissants and Coconut Flan at Paul Patisserie!
5 comments:
Soooo strange!!! I was feeling blah this morning..and after sending Marc-Antony to school this morning...the woman that drives him to school has the Wii Fit Plus and told me that I would love it!..SOOOOO...I was researching all morning the Wii Fit and took a break to read your blog!! and there it was...your Wii Fit review!! TOO FUNNY!!! I haven't made my mind up yet...but I think I would like to try the Wii Shape by Jenny McCarthy with the camera and you not having to hold any device. Do you know what would I need to buy? I know I have to buy the Wii System, but do I need to buy the Wii fit plus with the balance board to have the Wii Shape working? do you know? I'm like you I can't wait for the Spring and go outside!!..but in the meantime I have to do something!!Thxs my telephatic friend!!
Ha! ha! """Telephatic"""...I meant to write Telepathic!!
I say you rent a segway to get you from patisserie to patisserie faster AND hold the extra awarded weight! :)
Just kidding... I'm so glad you're making the most of the Wii. What better investment is there than an aerobics tool that doubles as a karaoke machine?!
We are telephatic ;) I think you would just need the wii system, and the game. But it says on the back of each game what equipment you need with it.
Lauren, they actually have segway tours...but you'd better believe I'd bite it on the streets of Paris if I thought I was going to try one of those!
Walking around Paris and London is actually something I'm looking forward to!
We saw tons of people on segways in DC. They were large groups of people rolling through the streets of the capital. They all had helmets, and their segway's had little bags on the front to hold their stuff. It was about 100 degrees out, and while I was hot walking around, the thought of wearing a helmet was even worse.
Not to mention they all looked insanely dorky.
I'd stick to walking around too.
Post a Comment