About a month ago, Steve sent me a link to a set of cologne's he was wanting to try. He's been on the search for "manly smells". None of this flowery stuff for him! I ordered a sampler set from Portland General Store, on Etsy. This way, he could try out some of the fragrances, before choosing the one or two that best suited him.
When they got here, I got to work opening the little sample containers, without spilling them everywhere. (Really...why haven't they perfected a better sample bottle for perfumes/colognes?) I opened one..."mmm...it smells like my dad." ... "mmm...smells like a leather store." ... "Whoa! It smells like my Great-Grandpa...he smoked a pipe!"
The next one I opened, my nose started to tingle, and I got a lump in my throat and tears brimmed my eyes. "It smells just like my Grandpa!". Now, Steve hasn't spent any significant time with his nose buried into my Grandpa's neck, so it was lost on him. But, oh...it was like a hug in a bottle!
I have since then, gone to that sample bottle from time to time and put a dot of "Moss" on my hand to sniff at throughout the day. It's a small way for me to think of "home" and the hugs I miss!
Tonight, as we were getting ready to cook dinner, I got out of the the smoke cups we picked up at WholeFoods last time we were there. We were cooking salmon, so we chose the mesquite flavor. I was busy in the kitchen, but when I walked out to check on the grill, I was hit with the smell of "home" again.
"Oh, it smells like Grandma and Grandpa's...at our place in the woods!" . Grandpa would often cook outside there he would have a can of wood-chips soaking in the water. Our breakfasts outside...camping in the rain...walks down to Jack the Donkey...putting rocks in the tree stumps...checkers at night...painting rocks...listening to mocking birds...Grandpa telling us bible stories before bed...Grandma making toast in the oven...and fishing at the lake.
So, tonight, I'm sitting with the windows open, letting the last of the mesquite cup waft into the house...with a dab of "moss" cologne on my hands. It's absolutely not the same as a hug and sitting next to Grandpa...but it will have to do until I can get home for the real thing. Now, if I could just find the equivalent to Grandma...I might just have to go to the mall and ask for a sample of her perfume, and eat a piece of lemon cake. ;)
8 comments:
Your memories make me.....well, they make me feel grateful to have a glimpse at things so precious.
Thank you, Deana. :)
Thank you for your kind comment! I have precious memories with my grandparents...most of them are still living in Oklahoma...and I've been trying to get back to see them with Max. I think it he can't make the trip, I'll have to go myself soon!
Deana, you made Gpa and me have tears in our eyes this morning from your memories. Thank you for your very special way of writing and your marvelous caring spirit!
We miss you too! We hope you will come just as soon as possible.
Gpa and I have a gift for you. We have written a book, "The Good Old Days" and will be giving it to the others on Father's Day. We will send yours and Angie's home with her when she is here in July. If you want I can send you the "adobe" copy via email. Love. Gma
How wonderful :)
I just love how smells can bring back powerful memories. If I am struck by a smell that takes me back somewhere in life, I can't sleep until I figure out what I was reminded of!
How precious and lovely!
I only had the opportunity to see my grandma (dad's mom) out of 4 grandparents....and I got to live with her for 20 yrs....this post makes me remember all my time spent with her.....and I still miss her every single day!
Grandma,
I got your email...I'm looking forward to reading the book, and seeing the photos too! You and Grandpa have always been so great about sharing our story with us. I go back to our family book you made us for Christmas at least once a year and re-read it!
Lauren,
I'm the same way...I'll smell something, and take big deep breaths in to see if I can match it!
Shachi,
I have one Grandma (mom's mom) who passed away 6 years ago this July. I think of her everyday, and miss her so much as well. I know she would have loved to have met my nieces, and nephew, and see how far Max has come!!
Beautiful!
Isn't it amazing how smells can bring so many memories. Looking forward to seeing you.
Post a Comment