Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Morning Crunchy...

I tend to shy away from telling people what to do.  I think it stems from my feeling of not wanting to be told what to do.  So, I doubt I'll be too preachy about diet things on here.  It is simply a place for me to put my ideas and thoughts about why it works for me.  

That said, this change in our way of eating has really made me feel better.  There are so many studies out there about how cow dairy is unhealthy these days, unless you milk Bessy yourself in your clover covered field.  But, again, while I read some of those studies - because my husband is quite adamant about it - it isn't why I've stopped eating cow dairy.  I stopped because it makes me feel gross.  All the other reasons found in studies are just bonus to me.

I do still eat dairy...just not cow dairy.  I eat goat and sheep cheese and coconut milk for my recipes calling for milk.  We use goat butter, and Steve eats goat yogurt every morning.  Max gets fortified rice milk in his daily food blends and he and Abbey both eat coconut yogurt.  And we all like coconut ice cream.

This morning, I had a huge bowl of yogurt for my breakfast.  IMG_3446

That's almond yogurt.

I added some goodies in it...here comes the crunchy. 

IMG_3445


Here we have granola, chia seeds, and hemp seeds.  So, so crunchy.  I may as well roll around in some patchouli and rename myself Wilting Flower. But, it is so delicious! 

IMG_3447

Chia seeds seem a lot like poppy seeds to me, as far as taste and texture go. They are packed with fiber, protein, minerals, omega-3, and antioxidants.  I've used them in some recipes where you soak overnight and they turn into more jelly like...that's totally a love or hate texture thing for people.  I like it, like little jell-o balls.  Some people just really don't like the texture though.

The granola is gluten free Udi's granola.  I like it for all the nuts and dried fruit in it.  

And finally, the hemp seeds are probably my favorite bit.  They taste like chopped up nuts with a real light flavor not as nutty as nuts.  (How's that for a great description?)  Really, the way I most describe them is "grassy"...but that just sounds weird, so I said nutty.  I really like the taste of them, and you can read more about the benefits on the link above.  They are full of protein, omega fatty acids, fiber, antioxidants and minerals. 


2 comments:

Lauren said...

Oo, I'll have to try chia seeds dry. I love the nutrition of them, but I'm one of those people who can't stand the soaked jelly texture. Can't do tapioca, either.

Deana said...

They have really little taste, but are like poppy seeds. We got that huge bag at Costco.