Friday, October 16, 2015

Shine Walk...

When Mom was first diagnosed with Triple Negative Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, one of the first websites I visited was Cancer Research UK.   When I googled triple negative breast cancer, it was one of the first pages that popped up. I sent the link to mom, and that started our constant research into finding a cure and support for her through her two and a half year journey.

Through every surgery, and treatment, we always found information on their website.  I liked that it gave the information I was looking for without telling me to contact my doctor to explain it all. Because I wasn't there to go to doctors appointments with Mom, and when I was awake and upset about my mom having cancer at 3:00am, I just wanted someone to answer my questions.

I followed the webpage through all of the changes in her cancer, and sat in her hospice room a day before she passed away with my computer open to their page on what to expect in the final days.

In July I had showed Mom their website that showed they were having a moonlight half and full marathon in London in September. She told me I should do it, but next year because she would still be here in September. She passed away on August 2nd, and shortly after, Steve encouraged me to go to London to do the walk in Mom's memory.

I set up a fundraiser page and raised £540.00 for Cancer Research UK.  I started training and my dear friend Rachel signed up to do the walk with me.  We had planned on having a nap before walking, but ended up not having time for that, so we did what any mom does and just sucked it up and went on with it tired.

 We got to the start and attached our race numbers and glow sticks to ourselves to "light up the night."


Here we are, excited to start!



Rachel is a speech therapist working with patients with head and neck cancers, so was walking for them along with friends who have been affected by cancer, including my mom.  Mom came over for a visit once with us to stay with Sam and Rachel.  She was there for her 50th birthday, and had such a great time.  It meant so much to me that Rachel came down for this walk with me.  


I made this sign for Mom.


But when I got there I realized she wasn't the only one I was walking in memory and honor of. Cancer has touched so many in our family, and my friends' lives too.  My Grandmama died of lung cancer.  My great-grandparents had different types of cancers, and great aunts and uncles too.  I was walking for all of them.  And I was walking for myself.  Because I don't want the curse of cancer in my family to touch our generation.  I want a cure so no one else dies from this terrible disease.  


We got to the starting line for our group and did some warming up.  

Here I am bright eyed and excited to get going!

And the start time...that's 8:35pm for the non-24 hour clock followers.

It was slow starting out of the park, but once we got going we were able to find our stride and got to the business of walking, sight seeing, and doing what we do best - catching up in person after a couple of years apart! 


We passed this pub early on...TAKE COURAGE. 

The walk had us going through parts of London I had never seen before, like the Tower Bridge and the Tower of London.

Tower Bridge

Rachel on Tower Bridge with the Tower in the background.

Me on Tower Bridge and my head perfectly covering Tower of London!

People have a love/hate relationship with this building, called The Shard.  I think it's neat.  And it was everywhere we turned all night long!


The Tower of London with the moon brightly shining above. 

Our first pitstop, St. Paul's Cathedral. 
Outisde #10 Downing Street...that poor guy inside had to actually work instead of posing for photos.
My first glimpse this trip.  It always makes me smile.  Always, always.

See?

So much of this...walking and walking and walking. 

 We walked along the river Thames for a good stretch.  It is difficult to see, but this is alongside the Battersea Power Station.  I posed for this picture.

Because of this picture.  My favorite of Jack Vettriano's paintings, also set in front of the power station.




A view of the London Eye all lit up.  



Mile 12....oh this was a tiring mile.  Probably the most difficult energy wise, and just feeling downright tired of walking.  I took this picture, and then saw this photo and had a hard time not crying...but I told myself no crying on the walk.  I only teared up a few times.  Rachel helped me by talking with me to not let me get too deep in thought. 

I will never forget.  

Shakespeare's globe

And so nearly there!  We were both so ready to be done walking by now!

At the end there was this sign. We had done it! 



And there we are.  Done and done! I did it!!!  I've never on purpose walked that long continuously!  We finished at 1:45am!

I got a medal to prove it!
Rachel and I stopped to get a warm drink and sit for a while to let it sink in what we had just done. Oh...and to eat chocolate.

I took my backpack off and saw Momma's smiling face looking at me.  And then...then I let myself cry.  I laid my head down and stretched, and cried.  I did it for her, and I missed her so much.  It is exactly the sort of thing I would tell her about first, because she would have been one of the most proud and would insist that I text her no matter the time day or night. 



Just look at us!  Happy friends, together for each other in all of life's experiences.  Proud of each other for overcoming our own set of challenges getting there.

Once we finished we got a taxi back to the hotel...because let's be real there was no way we were walking and the tube was closed.  As we were getting out of the car, we saw the marathoners not yet halfway done.  At the beginning of our walk, I said to Rachel, maybe I'll do the marathon next year.  Seeing the marathoners after our half marathon I changed my mind. The last of the marathon walkers finished at noon the next day.  

We got back to the hotel and took turns showering and getting ready in the mini-hotel and Rachel promptly fell asleep...but I was feeling jet-lag in earnest so I was up for a couple more hours.  So, I stayed awake a while talking to Steve on chat.  And also really thinking about what I had just done. And knowing just how cool Mom would have thought it was.  And it was so, so, so cool and I'm so happy I did it.