Monday, November 23, 2009

You know what I herd?

Growing up, this was my favorite joke, told by my Grandpa and Uncles alike...

"You know what I herd? (what?) Sheep!"
"You know what I saw? (what?) Wood!"

HaHaHa...get it...herd, heard...oh dear...still makes me laugh.

For the past three weeks or so, all I've herd, or heard was a high pitched ringing in my left ear. A noise so annoying, it's caused me to drown out the noise during the day with music, and cartoons. And at night, I would wake up scratching at my ear.


Last week in my annoying, and not post I mentioned it. This got me into a bit of trouble with my husband...because I hadn't mentioned (on purpose) this ear ringing. Because once you mention the ear ringing...it means you have to go to the doctor. And going to the doctor is at the lowest possible place on my things to do list.

But he persisted, and I made an appointment first thing this morning with the doctor. She asked a bunch of questions, like had I been to any loud concerts...or been hit in the ear recently. When I told her how boring my life was, she took a look, and saw that my ear was completely clogged. Oh joy!

She sent the nurse in and she filled a large syringe with saline and peroxide, had me hold the basin under my ear to catch the water, and squirted the solution at rocket speed into my ear. It was such a strange sensation! It tickled like crazy...made my nose itch, and my eyes water. But, being in the doctors office, I was NOT going to touch my face without scouring my hands first! She had to fill the syringe twice, and at the end, a big hunk of nasty ear wax fell out.

She asked if I wanted to see it, and I thought...if only you knew what I see in a day...and told her yes indeed I did want to see it. A small pea-sized rock of dark amber wax. Yowza! My ear was immediately clear, no ringing since! Hooray for going to the doctor, and hooray for nurses with big syringes filled with water and peroxide!

Oh...and husbands that make sure you take care of yourself.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

So glad you got that taken care of.

dmartin said...

That is great, such an easy fix to what could have been a serious problem. Thank God for that!!
Love you!