Monday, December 7, 2009

Mmm-mmm cookies!

Yesterday was such a cold snowy day. We didn't get out of the house because, where were we going to go with it being under 10 degrees?! Instead, I sent Steve to the store to get ingredients to make oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.

Max spent the morning watching the Andrea Bocceli Christmas special on PBS. He sang along to nearly every song. I wasn't able to put all of them on flickr, but I got a short one on there...


When it was time to make the cookies, I measured everything out into the steps they would need to be put in the bowl. We put Max in his wheelchair, and brought him into the kitchen to help make the cookies.

Before we get to the photos of the cookie making fun, I have to show you this one of Max's amazing hair...it is like one of those little troll dolls!
Check out his troll hair!

I held the big mixing bowl on his lap and helped him pour in all the ingredients:
Making cookies

Making cookies


Once he poured in the ingredients, I would have him hit his switch to start the mixer...we weren't sure if my mixer had too much power for his switch interrupter, so he would hit his switch and I would start the mixer.


This is a video of him pouring in the dry ingredients...he got a handful of the flour and thought it felt pretty great...


I guess we should have put an apron on him...
he got a handful of flour to play with

He was pretty proud of himself for helping!
Proud of himself for helping

Making cookies

He sat and looked at the tree while the cookies were baking...
Oh Christmas Tree!

The cookies turned out great! Maybe I should have him help me cook a lot more! He's got the magic touch!

8 comments:

Thia said...

I LOVE these pictures! What fun he had! It must have been neat watching his face as he felt and saw the ingredients/process.
What a pretty tree. I love blue and white.
I got your twitter msgs, but I was so "not with it" yesterday, haven't reread them yet. But I thank you for all your words lately, a very big help and encouragement.

Thia said...

I LOVE these pictures! What fun he had! It must have been neat watching his face as he felt and saw the ingredients/process.
What a pretty tree. I love blue and white.
I got your twitter msgs, but I was so "not with it" yesterday, haven't reread them yet. But I thank you for all your words lately, a very big help and encouragement.

s said...

Could I borrow Max for my next cooking adventure?

ferfischer said...

Love your blue kitchenaid mixer - how fun! You know, at the Anchor Center they do a TON of stuff with food and touching and feeling stuff - it's so much fun, and is definitely Cici's favorite part. Stay warm - even Cici stayed home today - bundling everyone up is TOO MUCH WORK!

Deana said...

Thia, he really did love the process. I had to laugh at him sticking his hand in the bowl several times. I'm always trying to get him to "use his hands", and then when I don't want him to stick his hands in the bowl he actually does!

Susan, anytime, of course!

Jenny, my mom got me that mixer...isn't it awesome?! I love that color of blue! You all stay warm too! It's way too cold right now...we need our Colorado sunshine!

Elizabeth said...

What fun. Those are Stephen's favorite kind of cookies. I loved the videos--I enjoy seeing Max in action--but the last photo was awesome...a perfect Christmas card or scrapbook pic. Absolutely precious.

Rich Brimer said...

This is one of my favorite Max photos ever. Merry Christmas from Sunny California where tacos and tamales are traditional Christmas fare. Peace, Rich

Deana said...

Elizabeth, that last photo has been passed around to all the grandparents already!!

Rich, it's definitely a sweet memory! I'm all about tacos and tamales for Christmas!! Merry Christmas to you and yours!