Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day...

It was a beautiful Mother's Day.

I woke up to Steve getting Max up and into the living room to eat. So I rolled back over and snoozed for a few more minutes. But, I wanted the day to begin, so I got up about 15 minutes later.

Steve had gotten me a bagel for breakfast, and I curled up on my chair and ate and tried to wake the rest of the way up.

Then Steve handed me my surprise gift. All I wanted to do with the day was to plant a few things in our garden...so I was really surprised to get something else too!

Mother's Day gift

When I opened the box, I saw this...
Mother's Day gift

And then I started crying. The only other time I've cried when I opened a gift was when Steve gave me my wedding ring. This was really really touching to me.
It's a necklace from my favorite jeweler, Jeanine Payer.

Steve had it custom made with this photo...
DSC_0124.JPG

It was taken when we lived in California. And is probably my favorite photo with the kids. We were at our favorite place in San Francisco...and it was a wonderful day, and Steve captured it perfectly with this photo.

IMG_2042
Engraved on the other side,

Children are the hands by which we take hold of heaven.
-Henry Ward Beecher


IMG_2043

I absolutely love it.

After we got around this morning, we headed out to get some extra soil and flowers for the garden. And, while it may seem all I did is eat today, it was a few hours in between before we went to Whole Foods to pick up my Mother's Day picnic. It's my favorite place to get ready made food...and definitely not an every day event.

We got a few groceries for tonight, and picked up this for lunch...
IMG_2046

Spring rolls, California rolls, and fruit spring rolls!
IMG_2048
They were sooo yummy...and I saved a few for lunch tomorrow!

Then it was time to play in the garden. We had to get the soil turned, and move a few plants around. And Max was happy to play outside with us. It was so gorgeous outside today!

We got a few yellow flowers for the flower beds for Max. And he was over the moon about getting to see them!
IMG_2049

IMG_2052

We planted some daisies in this teacup pot so we can move it closer to him for him to touch them and see.
IMG_2051

We spent the evening watching the finale of the Amazing Race with our friends, Larry and Katie. Steve grilled some great food...which was perfect.

All in all...a wonderful day.
IMG_2061

6 comments:

jen said...

what a beautiful day for a beautiful mom....:)

Thia said...

Awesome necklace! And when I get around to planting a garden next year, I might borrow your "tea cup pot" idea. If they each had their own to smell and touch, perhaps the others may last a while...

Maria Hopfgarten said...

Deana,
The necklace is beautiful, and I am so happy you had such a wonderful day!
Love, Maria.

Lauren said...

Perfect necklace and delicious sushi.. sounds like a pretty perfect mother's day!

dmartin said...

A wonderful day for a wonderful Mother! You deserve it!

Leanne Stewart said...

So happy for you. :)