As soon as we got home, we got to cooking. Eating outside of my own kitchen for 22 straight days took a toll on my stomach, mood, and pocket book! Here are a few of the dishes we've had since getting back home.
We picked all the baby carrots, and beets in the garden. They've made it in nearly every meal since last Thursday.

I made this Scallops with Cherry and Tarragon sauce Friday night.

Plenty of Halloumi salads.

Steve smoked chicken and ribs on Saturday night. And I made beans...which I didn't get a picture of, because they were eaten too quickly! The secret ingredients there are cans of baked beans, one onion, bbq sauce, top with strips of bacon and bake until the bacon is crispy. The end.
And finally, because it is Grandmama week, I had to make her Macaroni and Cheese, in her pot.

But, she was probably rolling in her grave with the ingredients I used...I made it completely gluten free, and with all goat milk products. It turned out good, but not exactly like Grandmama's. Which is a shame, because it's the first time in my life that I ate macaroni and cheese and didn't feel like I had a brick in my stomach afterwards.
6 comments:
{sigh}
would you explain exactly what is in that beautiful salad of yours? :)
Having just pigged out on TWO bowls of broccoli and chopped spinach w/butter, sea salt and fresh ground pepper, I can completely appreciate how much these meals mean to you guys. Soooo happy you're home. Thought of you as I brought my sheets in off of the clothes line and smelled their summer/sunny goodness. :)
I'm sure your grandmother would be happy that you are eating food that makes you feel good. Our grandmothers did so much improv, using what they had or changing recipes to fit a need. That's all you're doing. So you're still in the right spirit!
Looks delicious, A+ for presentation!
Bonny,
That salad had halloumi, beets, and carrots from the garden and lettuce. I usually put halloumi, mango, strawberries, blueberries, beets, almonds, and bacon in my salad.
Thia, I'm pretty sure she would have tried it, and then agreed that hers was better. :) But, she taught me to cook, and I think she would have appreciated my skills at changing recipes up to fit our needs. I think though most of us agree that Grandmama's was the best, and no one will ever be able to match it.
Post a Comment