Friday, July 29, 2011

Okra Chips...

I don't remember exactly when I found these last year, but my life has been forever changed. It was a well known fact in our house growing up that there would never be okra leftover. Because it would all be in my belly! I've never met a plate of okra I didn't love.

So, when I found these, I snatched them up!

IMG_6391

(nutritional facts on back)
IMG_6392

They didn't make it very long around here. I think maybe I shouldn't have introduced them to anyone else in this house, because now I have to hide them. ;)

We recently found them at Whole Foods, in a larger container. More for the money, and more for my belly!

IMG_6394

(nutrtional facts on back)
IMG_6390

I do have to pace myself, because I could seriously go through any one of these in one sitting. So, we tend to empty them into a bowl and put them on the counter and snack on them when we're passing through the kitchen.

There you have it, fried okra without the breading, or the dripping grease!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep in mind that I'm Minnesotan ... what exactly does okra taste like?

Deana said...

Steve says he wishes he could have videoed my reaction to your comment, and have it serve as a response. I am in complete dumbfounded shock! ;) I guess it really is more of a Southern food, but I've had it in Chinese food, Indian food, and African food too.

Let's see, how to explain okra. It's quite a bit furry on the outside, like a zucchini is fresh from the garden, only covered in these little hairs. Raw it's not the best, it has a sort of slime property to it. Sometimes I don't cut them up when I'm cooking because I don't want to fuss with the slime, but sometimes I need the slime...it's nature's natural thickening ingredient for gumbo and curry!

Taste...this is the part that got me just gobsmacked...it tastes like OKRA! ;) Maybe a little similar to cooked zucchini, or a green bean, but really it has a very distinct flavor all on it's own. You can taste it in any dish and know it's okra.

If you go to an Indian restaurant, you can order bhindi masala, it's the hindi word for okra and spices, and a great way to try it! One of my favorite Indian dishes. And if you have any Cajun restaurants around, it's in almost any pot of gumbo.

I don't know how else to explain it...kind of slimy depending on how it's cooked, but I love it, and it's always been on my top favorite foods list.

Nancy said...

Girl, we would have to fight over the okra.I love okra! I will not ever throw any away either. I do believe I could eat it every day during the summer. but I don't. I will have to look for the chips because I am most curious about them now. Your explanation of it cracks me up. Not sure how I would describe it though. Just GOOD!

Deana said...

I seriously have no idea how to explain okra!

ferfischer said...

I admit it, I'm not a fan of okra and the slime. BUT, that said, I do like it fried. But then again, I will eat almost anything fried. :)