Having sleepovers with family was just more natural than with friends for me. There was no "learning" the new people, your family was just family - they already knew you. You could eat familiar food, sleep with familiar bedding, watch movies you liked...because Uncle/Aunt and Grandparent houses were just another extension of your own house.
This weekend, I got to hold our first cousins sleepover with my niece Addie. Although she's spent plenty of nights at our house, it's always been with her parents. This was the first time that she was over by herself.

We had a lot of fun together. We did decorations, which are her version of coloring, glueing and cutting. We watched shows that she and Max liked. We listened to Princess songs and sang and danced. We played games. We ate her favorite basketti, and of course, Auntie had a cookie or two for her.
Max likes having her around to watch and get excited over her energy. I think right now, he mostly likes how much she makes the dogs bark! She is so great with her cousin Max. Right now, as she's potty training, she is intrigued with Max being in diapers. We always explain to her that because Max can't walk to the toilet, it isn't an accident when he has a diaper to change. He will always have diapers to change. Then, of course, she wants to help. So, she helps by washing his arms and hands while I am changing his diaper. She told me this weekend that when she is big like me, she can change his diaper, but when she is littler than Max she will clean his hands.
She still likes to sit in Max's wheelchair when he's not in it, and this time she decided she'd like to eat her lunch and watch a movie like Max does.

We played lots of games. Games she sees all the grown-ups playing and has her own idea of how they're played. So, I let her just set them up and tell me how we play them. These are pretty complex games, but she and I had a fun time playing them her way.



When it was time for sleep, I expected to go upstairs with her and sleep in the guest room. Once we got up there and put her pajamas on, she insisted that we were supposed to be sleeping in my bed. We got it worked out that Steve would sleep with Max, and I would sleep with her. It kind of worked, and by morning, we were all snuggled up together. All except for Steve, who preferred the floor to sharing with any kicking kids.


All in all, it was a good first cousins slumber party. Although, next time I'll have to plan to have more basketti...she ate it all the first meal, and then that was all she wanted for the rest of the weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment