Initially, we thought we would go to the top of Notre Dame on our third day in Paris. But, we all thought it best to skip it, given the excitement I imposed on everyone at Versailles. Instead, we walked along the Champs Elysées. It was a beautiful day for a walk. It was still sweltering, but the stores were air conditioned, and the trees offered a refuge from the blazing sun.


I wasn't on the lookout for anything in particular on our shop hopping, but ended up finding Abbey some cute sunglasses. The thing I got for myself was from my favorite patisserie, Paul Patisserie, after lunch.


I tried very hard to stick with eating no dairy or gluten, but I made exception here, and it was absolutely worth the little rash I got on my stomach. In fact, the only time I veered from my regular way of eating was for desserts!
We stopped into the Orangerie Museum along the way. This is where Monet's large paintings of Water Lilies live. They were impressive, for sure, and so calming. I got one photo snapped before I realized we were not supposed to be taking pictures. If you want to see more of the paintings, just click on this google link: Monet Water Lilies, Orangerie, Paris.

This was one of my favorites, but there was also one with a willow tree that caught my eye too. I liked how close we could get up to the paintings. I try to not be intrusive to other peoples' art viewing, but I never understand why people sit back on the little benches and look at art. I have to get as close as possible to a piece. I was to see the brush strokes, and layers of paint. I want to see the pencil sketching under the finished product. I like seeing the steps, not the big picture all the time. So, I got as close as possible to these lovelies, as the room afforded that space.
We walked along the last bit of the Champs Elysées, and were greeted with quite a view of all the ground we had just covered, behind us.


And the start of the Louvre Museum before us.




Inside the Louvre, we went to see the main pieces, like The Mona Lisa. I got to see her "close up" on my last trip to Paris, so didn't fight the crowds to get up close this time. Everyone has no doubt seen the famous lady in books through the years, so I think this shot explains a bit better what it's like to truly see her in person.

The Louvre is massive. There is no way you could view everything in one trip, unless that trip was every day for four months. It was once the palace, and has some gorgeous rooms.

I spent a bit of time in this room, because I like the large paintings, but also, there were floor vents shooting cool air conditioning on my hot feet. So, I feigned much more interest in the paintings than needed in order to hog all the air. Have I mentioned yet it was hot in Paris?
One of the ornate ceilings, along with paintings.

We saw a lot of sculptures this visit. This one caught my eye, as there was so much detail under the veil. It's a solid piece of marble!

This one I liked because of it's whimsy.

And this was probably one of my favorite art pieces I saw the whole trip. (Grandma, cover your eyes)

I call it laundry day.
We left the museum a little cooler, and ready to make our reservations at our highlight meal in Paris, a totally gluten free restaurant called NOGLU. It was a real treat to know everything on the menu was gluten free, although for me, I got a bit of dairy mixed in.
I started with a cucumber soup, which was cold and delicious.

We all shared the puffy little cheese biscuits.

My main was fish on top of quinoa, and celery root with what they called leeks, but sure looked and tasted like bok-choy to me. Those are mushrooms on top.

For dessert, I had a peach cobbler.

Gwen and Kris had spring rolls, with a surprise ingredient of seared tuna, which neither particularly cares for.

Kris also had the fish as a main, and Gwen had the lasagna.

And finished with an apricot cake.

Our delicious meal behind us, it was time for our reserved spot on top of the Eiffel Tower. Because we were close on time, we took a taxi over and made it just in time to catch a glorious sunset before our ride to the top.



We crammed into the little trolly cart that took us to the first level. I snapped this photo before I started working on my breathing to calm my heart. I detest crammed spaces, and high heights.

But, today, from the safety of the ground, I can say it was worth it.




I can honestly say, I've never experienced a sunset quite like that. It was breathtaking. And not just because I was terribly close to chickening out again and not taking the last ride up to the top. If it weren't for all the people between me and the edge, I probably would have gone on down. But, I figured, if someone was going to fall off, it would be them before me, and stuck close to the center of the tower.
The second level was all glassed in, which seemed more reasonable to me.

Once we made it to the top, it was largely anticlimactic. We were caged in, and of course, the space was much smaller, so I never got to see out of the top easily, but can say I saw the City of Lights from above...through a cage.
We were up there as the flashing lights started to go off, which added a strobe light feel to the heights and claustrophobia. While I felt accomplished that I had done it, I will mark it off my list as something I do not need to do again.

Here I am, resolved, and shaking in my boots.
On the way down, we were treated to the last of the sun touching the earth. Something I never get tired of seeing, as the mountains here always steal the last of the show away from us.

I prefer the view from here.

Here we are, the end of a very full day. Three friends having seen the top of the world from a tower.

Day 4 takes us to London, by way of traveling under the sea on a train.
2 comments:
There's a main point my brain is trying to get to, but it's moving slow. Something correlating the beauty of life from the museums to the people along the shore you saw on your boat ride and your persistence in overcoming illness and fears to participate.
Looks like you had an awesome time. Glad you made it up the tower okay.
Post a Comment