One of the things I was sure to miss most about leaving Max's elementary school was the holiday baskets they make for families in need each year.
This year, I was happy to be notified about it through families who are still there, and tonight went shopping for the basket supplies. I had to take Steve to the airport once Max's nurse got here, so it was late by the time I got to the store, but that just meant I had the place to myself along with the workers.
It's maybe better that way, because they didn't seem to see or mind the tears that kept forming as I shopped. The things I bought this year were all of mom's favorites, I thought she would like that. She is the one who taught me to give to others. She gave, sometimes to a fault, at the holidays.
In second grade, she arranged for my classroom Christmas tree to go to a family who couldn't afford a tree. She would clear our pantry to take to food banks. She took us caroling at the nursing home. She would grab an angel or two from the angel tree and we would shop for them. She would drop a toy in the toys for tots basket at the store. Her spare change went to the man ringing the bell. She would give to organizations that were important to her.
My mom was never rich, and died with very little. There were times we had to use the same services she would give to. But she worked hard, and taught us that if you have more than you need - give to others, because you may need it again some day and it will come back to you.
I was thinking today about how much she taught me in life. And now that she's gone and I reflect on it, I wish I could let her know how much I learned from her. And for being such a good mom and such a good person.
No comments:
Post a Comment