Tuesday, December 6, 2016

My Grandpa passed away on Saturday December 3, 2016.

He was a mighty huge part of my upbringing, and I know how fortunate I was to have him in my life for so many years.

His obituary tells the basic story of his life.  He was a minister, and United States Army Veteran. He was a devoted and loving husband to my Grandma for 62 years.  And  he had 6 children, 15 grandchildren, and 11 great-grandchildren.  All of these things make up his legacy.

But, the obituary doesn't tell the story of who he was to me.  To me, he was a giant.  He was the most kind, genuine, loving person I have ever known.  I never heard him speak an unkind word about another person.  Even when he would get frustrated about a situation, he wasn't unkind about it.  He wasn't a scholar, but he was wise.  He wasn't wealthy, but he had "riches that many folks don't have." He never went to college, but he taught me more lessons than I can count.

My Grandpa woke up every morning and read his bible.  He would watch the birds and squirrels out his window and he would pray. Mornings with Grandpa were some of my favorite memories.  I wasn't an early riser, but when I spent the night at their house I was always okay to wake up just a little bit earlier than my siblings or cousins to get in on that special time.  He would explain to me what he had read, or told me stories of when he was a child on a farm.  If we were at our place at the lake, we would spend the chilly early mornings outside.  I would gather sticks while he built a fire for us to cook breakfast outside.  He would sing to the mockingbirds, and we would collect funny shaped rocks.

Christmas with Grandpa was always an exceptionally special time.  He loved having his entire family around to read the Christmas story.  I would try to find my way to his lap, or tucked beside him when I got too big for his lap.  He voice boomed when he read.  His bible was passed around and each family member would take a verse.  He would tell the little ones to "speak up", encouraging us all to be confident in our voice.

My parents had to figure out the whole parenting thing - but Grandma and Grandpa had already perfected it.  So when we came along, they were a second set of parents. Experienced parents...who got to spoil us.  They didn't shower us with gifts, they showered us with love and undivided attention. Any family vacation we went on, we would go with them.  They took me on several trips to Missouri, Arkansas, and Texas.  Plus plenty of trips to see different parts of Oklahoma.

No comments: