Thursday, June 25, 2009

Red Rocks...

The adults are getting a little stir crazy these past several days. With all the rain, there isn't much opportunity to get out of the house to change the days up a bit.

Yesterday, I told Steve we needed to head for the hills, even if we had to stay in the car from the rain. We started up towards Golden, CO, just about 15 minutes away. But ended up just outside of Golden, in Morrison. Morrison is the home of Red Rocks.

The clouds started to lift on our way out there. And we had a pretty awesome view of this place we call home.

DSC_0004.JPG

It's a very unique landscape out there.
DSC_0024.JPG

And the birds were more than happy to find the little insects flying around after the rain.
(I need Aunt Nancy to tell me what this on is...it was one of my favorites)
DSC_0086.JPG

As we were getting ready to leave I saw this...
DSC_0101.JPG

Steve snatched the camera to get a better view...
DSC_0105.JPG copy

Can you see it yet? Hooooooot hooooooooooooooot...
DSC_0107.JPG copy

When I saw it fly up from the crack in the rocks it really startled me. But I tried to be as quiet as I could because seeing an owl is one of Steve's favorite things. He was thrilled to get to see one in person. It was a pretty rare treat. In all of our years here, I've never seen one.

There are over 100 pictures on flickr of our little trip out to Red Rocks...lots of birds, and lots of rocks. :)

6 comments:

dmartin said...

Beautiful scenery; the birds are a rare treat from our Creator God.
Glad that you are getting some chance to enjoy the outdoors.
Love you all,

Nancy said...

Hi Deanna, What a beautiful place! So much wildlife. The blue bird is a Steller's Jay. It is either a young male or a female I am not sure which. The mature males have a really black head with crest sticking up. They are very common in Co. I tried to make out what the others are on Flickr. Some I couldn't decide. Not enough detail. Tom said that you need the Bird App on Iphone it has pictures and sounds. Like a Bird book on your phone. You could get a bird book to carry when you go out to look them up if you want. I take mine just about everywhere. Love Ya

Danetta said...

Aunt Nancy must be new.

What a difference in the pic you sent to my phone and these. Beautiful, just beautiful.

Nancy said...

Aunt Nancy must be new? I don't get it. I am kinda slow you know. Please fill me in OK.

Deana said...

Hi Aunt Nancy,

I knew you would know what the bird was! I thought of you when I took the owl picture too! I remember all of those owls you always had!

I don't get the must be new joke either...momma better explain!

Elizabeth said...

Absolutely beautiful pics. Love the owl. Glad you were able to get a little while anyway.