Sunday, June 14, 2009

Wild Kingdom...

Today was an eventful day. Not big events, just a lot of noteworthy events.

We started by going to get some new running shoes. We went and had an analysis done of our feet, how we ran, etc.. After trying on several pair I found the right fit...and on sale BONUS!

After our shoe shopping, we went to have lunch at our usual place. While we were sitting there, an angry storm started to blow in. I tried to get a picture with my phone, but it's pretty sorry.

Right above the "pizza" is a funnel cloud. If you can't see it here, click on this picture and blow up the size.
funnelcloud

Several people in the restaurant were hoping to see a twister. I was not. I have lived through enough of them to not at all want to see one. I don't understand this weather this summer...funnel clouds...rain every day. Very strange!

After pizza we headed back home, and I saw from the highway a coyote in the open space. We drove by to get a closer look, and again, I got a sorry picture with my phone camera. I really should have brought the big camera today!

Again, click on the picture and blow it up to try to get a look at it.
coyote3

(For those of you who know the geography, this is right behind the Butterfly Pavilion.)

And finally, after getting Max into bed tonight, I went out to water my hanging plants. Even with all the rain, they are not getting much of the moisture.

This is my petunia plant:
hanging petunia

The other day we saw a bird fly in there with a piece of twig...
It was making this:
birdsnest

I got an action shot of it flying away...
mother bird

So...back to the story. Steve got the petunias down to water them, and the bird flew out! Oops! It was sitting on a nest of 2 little eggs. We didn't touch the nest, and hopefully it will come back. I feel so bad that it might abandon the nest. (Listen to me...being all caring for birds and stuff.)

Hopefully they will be around tomorrow. Then I'll try to only water during the day when I know they aren't in there! And I won't take it down anymore! But, if we don't water it, it will die and not have any covering for the nest.

Oh what a dilemma. I guess I'll go to bed.

2 comments:

Madame Angela Baggett said...

we have a nest too. The birds laid 4 eggs and two hatched. We watered and even took them down from time to time to look at the babies, then one day we went to look and they were gone. Our petunias are much worse for wear, but it's cool thinking there are two birds flying out there that first saw the world from our front porch.

Deana said...

Steve got up there this morning to look without taking it down, and the bird flew off! I think Abbey is going to love it!