What an eventful few days. Friday morning Max slept in pretty late for him. It was almost 11:00 and I finally came into his room to see if he was feeling okay. And found that he was just tired...again...staying up all night will do that to a kid! He only slept from about 9:00am till 11:00am Friday. He was up all night on the hour otherwise.
Once I got him up and in his chair and his medicine in him, he started vomiting. He was still happy and not fussing, just got congested and threw up. Not such a big deal, more of an annoyance that I had to remake his medicine. As I was remaking his medicine, he had a little seizure. BOOOO for seizures! He then got on a roll, and had another 10 within an hour. I called his neurologist on #11. He told us to get out the big guns. Diastat is the drug of choice around here, and we got it in him as soon as I got off the phone. Within minutes he was smooth out!
The seizures stopped, and he slept for another 2 hours. We averted a hospital stay for the first time with breakthrough seizures because of the g-tube. Usually we would have had to go in because after being knocked out, he wouldn't eat, which can cause his metabolic status to go haywire. Instead, we propped him up and fed him while he slept off the meds. Dr. L. had us checking in every hour for the rest of the afternoon, and increased his dose of medicine when it was all said and done.
Saturday he was still a little groggy from the seizures and the medicine, so we took it pretty easy. In the evening, we were planning to get out while Ang and Dan watched Max for us. Max was fussy and wanting to lay in his bed for a bit, so Steve picked him up and took him in there. When he came back he looked a little sick with pain. I asked what was wrong and he said he had hurt his shoulder when picking up Max. He took some aleve and we went ahead out. But by this morning, he was really hurting.
And aside here...Max slept THROUGH THE NIGHT Saturday night!!! He went to sleep at around 11:30, and slept until 5:30. Then got him comfortable to sleep until 9:30! YES!!!
So, back to the story...Steve called the doctor on call and they told him it sounded like a dislocated shoulder, and to go on to the ER to have it looked at so he didn't do any more damage. So off we went, after leaving Max with my sister. We were there 4 hours...saw a nurse for 2 minutes, then x-ray for 5 minutes, then a doctor for maybe 5 minutes total. All to say it was pulled muscles, here's a sling, don't move it for 2 weeks!
So the long and short of it is, we will be using our new lift a lot more...and looking into other ways to move Max around without hurting ourselves. It is really going to take some training!
It's a full week ahead, so I think I'll wrap it up now. Mom and Abbey are coming this weekend...and lots of medical calls and ordering and scheduling going on before they come!
2 comments:
Oh, poor Steve. Max is really growing fast..I hope you can manage to find a way to move him without damage to yourselves. I'm glad Max is doing better. You are such a good mom and so overwhelmed most of the time..You are in my prayers. Hugs,
thinking about you.
Post a Comment