Monday, November 30, 2009

Say what?!!?

Last week I talked about going to the doctor for a problem I was having with my ear.

I believe that part I forgot to mention, is that I haven't been to the doctor for myself in five years. Not for regular check-ups...not for illnesses...not for allergies. I told you, it has been at the very bottom of my list of things to do.

Still, I needed to go, so I chose a doctor and went. They got me sorted out and I left with a clear hearing ear!

But the next day, something new started happening. I woke up Monday night with an incredible pain on my right arm. It felt like someone was holding fire against it. I got out of bed and went to the bathroom to turn the light on to see what was burning, or eating away.

I saw nothing. So I just thought I must have been dreaming...but it was still burning. As I laid in bed, it continued to be super sensitive. Even the covers were hurting my skin. My first thought was "oh no...I've got the flu!". But, I wasn't feeling sick otherwise, just my skin was burning and crawling!

The next morning when I woke up I started to see a red spot. And through the week, it started to get some small bumps. It was hot to touch, and still, very sensitive to touch.

I showed it to my mom, and to Steve, and to my sister. The consensus was the same...Eeeeew...what is that?!

Last night it hit a peak with pain, and I thought a shower would help with the pain. After I got out I put lotion on my arm, and it felt like I was rubbing needles into my skin. I decided this was not normal, and what would make such a pain? Then it popped into my head...shingles. I came into the kitchen and asked Steve if younger people could get shingles. And after googling it, we decided it was very likely that it was shingles.

I went to the doctor this afternoon...a week after being there. After not going for five years. And my doctor looked at my arm for a few seconds and says, "That's totally shingles."

What the WHAT?! MAN!!!!! I didn't know someone my age could get the shingles. Just pure ignorance. I was so worried about the kids...Max and Addie. Ang reassured me when I heard Addie had her vaccine already. And I had to call Max's pediatrician to confirm he had both of his, and he has.

It is likely that it popped up because of stress. I haven't been sick at all...and she gave me anti-viral medicine that I have to take every 4 hours for 10 days. The pain comes and goes...and hurts the most when I get cold.

It's always exciting around here!

4 comments:

Sam Radford said...

Oh no, that's no fun! Rachel's mum had that last year I think. Hope you recover quickly and that the pain isn't too bad.

Rieshy said...

I totally agree with your comment that God blessed us our kids for a reason. I'm sure it's easier to feel blessed without shingles though! I'll be praying for a speedy recovery for you. Glad your kiddos are already protected.

Ashley's Mom said...

Oh no, shingles can be so painful. Can you also take some pain meds? I hope the antiviral helps quickly.

Deana said...

Thanks all...the pain just comes and goes, so I hate to be on medicine for something so unpredictable. But I am feeling better each day. I think I am very lucky to have had a mild case of it.