Saturday, January 2, 2010

2010...

I used to make resolutions. I used to make plans for the year ahead. I would crack open my brand new journal and jot down everything I knew I wanted to accomplish in the new year. But, having Max in my life has changed all that. Not that I don't hope for the future, or try to plan ahead...it's just that life so rarely goes according to plan around here. But I haven't stopped hoping...and haven't stopped dreaming. It's just that I can't and don't put a timeline on any of it.

Sure, there are things I would like to accomplish this year.

I would like to get a vehicle that we can as a family ride around in comfortably and safely and for long distances. Air travel is not the best choice for Max, anymore. But travel is. He was born of two die-hard travelers, and the boy gets antsy after not being able to get out for a few days...let alone see the ocean, or a big city. And yes, he does know the difference in Denver not being San Francisco...and the pond at the park not being the ocean.

That leads into the traveling. I am hoping to get to see my family this year. I never would have thought it would be YEARS in between seeing my family. It's difficult to even write that out. Time gets away from us, Max has some bad days, we don't know if he can make that long journey without having seizures we can't control, and plans gets changed. Then it's the fall/winter and we're into cold and flu season and we've gone a whole year without seeing parents and siblings and grandparents.

I would like to pay down some debt...but who wouldn't. I mean really, 2009 wasn't pleasant on the financial front for most. But we were hoping to pay down more than we were able to. I'm thankful for my income to help with that more in 2010.

I do have some personal aspirations for this year...but you'll hear more about those as they happen. I do believe it's going to be a good year...I have no reason to believe otherwise. We will celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary this year. That's really exciting to me. Not that we will get to go anywhere, or do anything real spectacular for it...like we had planned 10 years ago...but we are still here, together, and love each other more today than we did 10 years ago...and that's gift enough to me. (Although that trip to Ireland would have been grand.)

So here's to you 2010...I'm excited to see what you have in store for us.

1 comment:

Chris Marsden said...

My wife was pregnant for our 10th anniversary... and we were broke... with two other little ones at home... and I was managing a store where a whole day off was almost impossible to come by. We still got out for a night, but the disappointment of not going on that trip was greatly outweighed by the love that was still there.

Happy 2010!!!