Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Shrimp Curry...

I usually follow (loosely) this recipe to make Chicken Curry. The recipe in this video is bo-ring...so I add a lot more spices and chilies. This was the plan for tonight. I already had all the ingredients...but at the last minute, I decided to change it up a bit, and make it with shrimp. We live on the edge around here...it's how we roll.

I've put down the ingredients and instructions below, to share, but also so I'll remember next time! The only thing I'm not certain on, is the amount of time everything cooks...I cook by smell, and sight. If it looks and smells right, it will usually taste right. So these are all estimates. Measurements are to my taste...if you try it, you might have to tweak it to your taste.


Shrimp Curry
(This is the only photo I got...before we chowed down!!!)



1 Tbs veg oil

Medium chopped onion

1-2 cloves garlic chopped

Green chilis...I used 6, chopped up. (I've learned to like my food a bit more spicy because my dear husband likes it at burn your tongue off on the scoville rating.) Also, these are the little Thai peppers. If you can't handle the heat, use a milder pepper...and to make it more mild, just slit the pepper down the side, and throw it in whole. Then take them out after the curry is cooked. This way the seeds don't get in the mix.

1 tsp cumin powder

1 tsp turmeric

1-2 tsp Garam Masala

1 tsp coriander powder

3 TBS Butter

2 Tbs Tomato Paste

1/2 pint half & half

20 raw shrimp

Handful of fresh coriander/cilantro (same thing)

In large skillet, heat oil and add chopped onion. Cook until translucent, and starting to caramelize. Add chopped garlic, and chilies.

Add cumin, stir into onion/pepper/garlic. Next add turmeric, coriander powder, and garam masala. Add butter, and cook for 3-5 minutes. Add tomato paste, and mix completely.

Add the shrimp, and cover to cook. Once shrimp are almost cooked through, add half & half. Cook for another 5-10 minutes, until it's simmering.

Add fresh cilantro before serving.

2 comments:

Helen said...

hey Deana sounds good, do you serve it with rice or just eat it with bread?

Deana said...

I made basmati rice, and Naan. I like it with bread, and Steve likes it with rice. I had a little bit of both!!