There was a time in life that I was obsessed with shoes. The funkiest, most beautiful, most unique shoes filled my closet.
Some of them I would wear with only one outfit, but they were so amazing I had to have them...some of them I would buy first, then find an outfit to wear with the shoes.
Sometimes I would spend nearly my whole paycheck on. One pair in particular that comes to mind are the shoes I wore to my senior prom. These shoes were AMAZING! They were silver, with an iridescent sheen to them. As soon as I saw them, I knew they must be mine.
Because Daddy was paying for everything, I had to convince him that these shoes needed to be had. I painted a pretty picture. Told him they were the only ones out there that matched my dress perfectly, and the cheaper ones I bought were ruined when taken in to be dyed. I haaaaaaad to have these shoes!
So he forked over the money and I ran to the store to buy my perfect shoes. And they sat in their box until the big night. I got fully dressed and then went to put on my amazing shoes. It was like Cinderella had found her glass slipper. I remember my friends gasping at the sight of them. Begging to know where I had found them, if they could borrow them, etc. etc..
I knew I had something special. Something no one else was wearing...but in the back of my mind I also knew...that these shoes were AWFUL! Oh the pain. Pain I could hardly endure. They were the most uncomfortable shoes I have ever owned. I couldn't wait until I could take them off. Who would invent such a horrible torture device for feet?!?!?!?
I never wore the shoes again. To this day...they were the most amazing shoes I've ever owned. I still love the idea of those shoes. How they looked, how they looked on my feet. But the fact was...they didn't fit.
From that point, I have never bought a shoe based only on the look. I wear them around the store for a while, sometimes looking like a fool, but I know from experience not to waste money on shoes that don't fit, or won't last in the long-run.
And reaching back to that experience, I see no matter how glamorous, and beautiful, and shiny, and fabulous England has looked to me, until I "put it on" to try out, I couldn't see that it just wasn't a right fit.
There are many reasons why, and maybe we'll line them out, right now I'm still just processing this decision we've made. But it isn't a right fit. Even though we still dearly love London. We know we must go home.
We changed our return flight, we will be going home next Wednesday. And I'm sure there will be people questioning what in the world have we done...but we don't question our intentions at all. We had to try it on for size. We had to know before we committed, and it wasn't the one for us, and we never ever would have known unless we tried. And there is a peace about it all that I can't explain. But I know that we will always have friends here, and always have a special place in our hearts for England, and will come back for years to come to visit.
The journey continues. We don't feel like we're being led blindly, but rather, going with the wind. And it's a wonderful feeling.
Thanks for being on the journey with us.
24 comments:
YOU followed your dream!
You FOLLOWED your dream!
You followed YOUR dream!
You followed your DREAM!
It was supposed to be just as it is.
I think Gwen said it.
Gwen beat me to the punch. But yes! YES!
{{hugs}}
Catching up...
happy birthday
that picture of max could win an award..fabulous.
welcome home.
does that mean your going to post on xanga again????
I got dreams to ya know!
Love you :))
It is so much better that you tried and know it is not what you want and leave- then to have never tried- or worse just stay hoping it becomes right. I admire your courage in all this.
Linda
D~I'm so proud of you for following your heart (in both cases). While I am sorry to hear about you leaving England, I am so happy that you will be coming home to the States. Will it be in CO? I selfishly want you to come back to Denver so I can have a real friend when I move (which is official BTW). Keep me posted on your journey. XOXXOX
The journey continues!
although this surprised me...if you didnt try you would never know that it wasnt right fit.
i wish you all peace of mind as you go through the next steps.
hugs and welcome back home
I admire your courage, gumption and honesty- I'm glad you realized it so quickly and feel such peace in going back home. May the way be lighted for you.
Deana,
Good for you. I'm so glad you are following your gut with this choice. I know it must have been a difficult decision but more power to you all! I wish you all a safe journey and look forward to continuing the journey wit you in spirit here. Happy belated birthday {{hugs}}
I think you're going to be just fine. How absolutely wonderful for you to have pushed through so much to do this. How cool is that?!
I think you now know you can go anywhere - and maybe it will be the right fit, and maybe not, but you can go. And you can admit it's not the right fit. And you can look forward to the next adventure on the continuum. Maybe we'll end up living close to one another after all.
:)
Hi, Just catching up. Without my own laptop--it's crazy and difficult to do--Anyway..know whether you hear from me or not, y'all are in my prayers as you continue this journey. Keep us updated, okay? Elizabeth
Everything we do is a step; you couldn't have found the next step til you took that one.
In many ways I understand; church planting has been one of those things that we just felt we had to do. Now I question whether we are done, and occasionally why we did it, but when there is no other answer, I know that it just was the next step we HAD to take, no matter how long it does or does not last.
I really admire your courage - to go, and to come home.
Whatever the journey, I enjoy coming along and sharing it all with you through your words here. I'm very curious as to all the events and thoughts that have brought you to this new turn of events.
Using another metaphor...
perhaps you're learning that you are wearing the ruby slippers!
Your Birthday has made a wise little woman!! Let England be "where home is in your dreams" and let your "real home" be where your heart wants it to be!!
Life is full of unexpected surprises and wonderful experience. And your heart guided you as to where home feels like home!! Good decision in coming back hom!!
Raymonde
With you
Deana,
Happy Birthday - a little late.
This brought tears to my eyes.
From the first time I started reading your stories - your life - I knew you were amazing. I knew you believed your God was amazing too. He is leading and guiding you, and you are following.
How beautiful.
You know, you can always move to Detroit. It's not England.
wow.
big news.
praying and trusting
right along with you for the wind to blow you to the next place.
i have nothing to add to the wisdom that has already been shared ... other than to offer my agreement with it.
:)
you are setting an awesome example for others to follow their dreams but to hold those dreams loosely:
Come now you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and engage in business and make a profit." Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away. Instead you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that" (James 4:13-15)
Thanks for linking me up to this bloggy home...I'll bookmark ya.
V.
http://www.repurposed.wordpress.com
hey there, bonny told me I need to know you so I can get the inside scoop on where to go and what to see in and around London. Please email me makeesha@gmail.com if you'd be willing to give some guidance. I'll be catching up on your blog in the meantime :)
Prayers up for your travel home!!!
Post a Comment