We left for our appointment with Max's neurologist about 12 hours ago. We had a great visit with him, and he and Max chatted it up. Max even played a little game of acting like he had no muscle strength in his legs while the doctor was checking, then kicking with all of his strength! It was a funny little game!
After that appointment we went to our nutrition appointment. She said he has gained weight, and wanted to increase his formula intake by a half of a can a day. No big deal there!
After seeing her, we saw his pediatrician. She took a look at his belly button(the one he was born with) and told me it was infected. The surgeon was messing with it the other day and must have opened it up and maybe some urine got on it. So she wrote an anti-biotic prescription for that. Then she looked under his g-tube button and saw the granulation(which is part of the stomach lining making it's way out.). It doesn't hurt him, and doesn't harm any part of the tube. But it can lead to more leaking, and can make it scar around the site. So she gave us some silver nitrate to "burn" it off. I asked her to watch me do it, since I will have to do it once a day until it goes away. Ugh...not a fan of that job...but it was quick and it didn't hurt him at all.
Once we got the belly issues handled, we went over just a few more things before we had to hurry and take Steve to the airport, as his flight left at 4:45, and it was nearing 3:00. One of those things was to give him his vaccines, MMR, Polio, and Chicken Pox. The nurse came in and gave them to him, while I finished up with the pediatrician. We got loaded up and to the car, in the cold...48 degrees here today!
When we got to the car he was really fussing, and we noticed he was having excessive amounts of saliva. I held him, and he was bucking and screaming. He started gagging and gurgling, and we thought it best to take him back into the clinic, because this was an awful lot like his reaction to the flu vaccine. We got him in his chair and he vomited everywhere.
We picked up the pace and ran him back into the hospital, where they hooked him up to the monitors and checked his lungs, heart rate, and blood pressure. All his stats were fine, but he was as white as a sheet, and still had the saliva and now was sneezing. When the hives started to show up they gave him an epi-shot.
That calmed it all right down...but got us a fast track trip to the ER. Which is where we were for the following 7 hours.
We are home now. He's sleeping quite soundly. He really was doing fine after he had the epi-shot. But now there's been a can of worms opened as to what in the world happens to him with vaccines sometimes. Our pediatrician is getting the doctors at National Jewish Hospital involved, and has told us that any other vaccines he has will need to be done in a trauma room at Nat. Jewish in case of a severe reaction again. We will also need to do some more extensive testing to see what it is that he is allergic to. We had started some testing because the flu vaccine set him off last year, and we wanted to get it checked out before giving it to him this year. Now it seems it wasn't specific to the flu vaccine.
So 12 hours later...I am going to bed. Steve missed his flight to Tulsa to see Abbey this weekend. I know she is disappointed, but we're hoping he'll get to go next weekend. So I guess we'll lay low this weekend and make sure he's all better before we start all over next week!
11 comments:
Oh wow. Sorry to hear about all that. Thinking about you guys and definitely hoping his back to his usual self quickly.
www.samradford.org
That sounds like a long day. But I'm glad Max is feeling okay after the epi-shot. I wonder what it could be??
Deana, I'm sorry about all of that. I hope that your are all doing ok. Give Mr. Max a kiss for me~what a strong guy he is.
I knew I woke up thinking about how yesterday went for you for a reason.
*takes deep breath*
Wish there were more I could do, Deana.
Dear Deana, very sorry for all that I am happy that he is fine now, please kiss him for me and send him my Love
Sheesh. Wish that didnt happen at all ..but glad that steve was there with you. Very happy to learn you are back home. Saying a prayer for you guys!
Oh how scary. I am so sorry that you keep having such a traumatic time with immunizations. I hope they figure it out soon. Hope you got to relax a bit this weekend- you deserve it.
Linda
Thanks everyone. Yesterday was still a little weird. I think the load of meds on his tummy was making him feel nauseous. He's eating better today, and we're off to the park.
Frightening! I am glad he is doing better now though. I know I've seen charts that have the vaccine ingredients in them online, can't find any of them right now...grrrrr.
My heart is sooo with you Deana (& Steve)...glad to hear everything is better again.
oh man, stress city... you better be getting some major medals of honor in heaven.
Post a Comment