Thursday, September 11, 2008

More therapy stories

I love going to Max's Occupational Therapy. Mostly because I just chat it up with his therapist the whole time. She and I work together with Max, and talk about the kids, or good restaurants, or movies, or tv...just normal friend things. He has seen her since right after his brain surgery, and I was insistent on him going back to her when we got back to CO.

Today, she wanted to try something new. We put Max in a little chair and put a table up to him. Then she opened a little container of bright slime green play-dough. He smooshed it a bit in his hands, and we rolled it around and poked his fingers in it. She made a little tube with it and wrapped his left hand around it to see how long he would hold on to it.

She and I were talking politics, when Max let out this HUGE scream, and a look of shock was on his face. That's when I noticed the green play-dough on his lips. My boy took his first taste of play-dough today, and thoroughly hated it. Oh he cried and cried and let that stinking play-dough drop out of his hands.

I have to admit, it was so funny. He was being such a good boy, practicing bringing his hands to his mouth while holding something. A task even baby Adeline can do, but Max is still learning. And it was so gross to him.

He did keep playing with it, but just wouldn't put it back up to his mouth. I guess I'm going to have to give him some marshmellows to play with, so when he brings that up to his mouth it tastes like sugar...something he'll never turn away!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats a good story. i love hearing /reading all your stories.

She said...

oh ACK! Poor little man...

So...when is Deana going to cross the line from patient to potential friend and ask the therapist to meet for a bite of dinner and leave Max at home?

Thia said...

What a wonderful experience for him. It's great to hear about his progress.

Deana said...

Gwen...we've had lunch, and her and her husband and daughter over for dinner.

We live on opposite sides of Denver metro, so when we move to Denver, we'll be much closer!

She said...

Excellent Deana! Is it my distant view or is Max making really making some strides?!