
Today was one of those days. It was a day where my head was in a fog. Steve is gone this week...really he's gone all month...save the weekends. But last night was his first night away from home. And Max was happy to keep me company...all...night...long.
Because of this, I was slow going all day. But I had plenty to do. I had to get Max ready for therapy, and me ready. I had to feed him, and something I neglected far too much last week, I had to feed myself. And it felt like my early day was me literally telling myself out-loud what to do next. Just, one of those days.
When we got to therapy today, my back was really hurting. I got Max out of his car-seat, and into his stroller. I noticed a mom next to me doing the same with her son. I wondered if her back hurt too. I was sure it did. He was bigger than Max, and his chair was definitely a lot heavier.
After I signed Max in, I went over to ask this mom about her son's wheelchair. It was the exact one we tried Max in yesterday. I thought it would be better to get this mother's opinion, rather than the salesman who was trying to sell it to us. When I asked her if she liked the chair, she smiled and said, "I hate it.". Then she laughed. She told me that she was only kidding...kind of. She said, "it's just so heavy!" She said, "but look at him...he sits so well in it! and of course one day, maybe he'll sit on his own...but for now he needs help...and this is the best choice."
That's when her son's therapist came out, and ours came out to meet us. Max did amazingly in therapy. He didn't cry, and sat up by himself twice. He worked hard to stand up, and was generally happy the whole time. But there was a moment. A split moment that made the foggy first part of the day go away. And made me so proud of my son I could burst.
He was sitting facing me, with his arms resting on the table in front of him, readying himself before he chose if he was going to play the piano toy, or the drum toy. And it struck me, what a very simple task this was for a nearly 5 year old boy. In that same moment, I noticed in myself this urging...this silent cheer...a cheer for him to try...try harder...you can do it. Reach out your little hand and hit one of the toys. Either one, it doesn't matter, but I know...I KNOW you can do it.
And then he did. He made a deliberate, although quite disorganized movement towards the keyboard, and slammed his hand down. And it was an awful noise. A terrible racket. But it was such an accomplishment. And he knew it. And he was proud. He turned to look at his therapist and he smiled. And turned to look and me and then my cheer was heard. "Great job buddy, Mommy knew you could do it!".
And tonight as I think of that, I remembered the mom in the waiting room, KNOWING that some day her wheelchair bound son would sit. And then of all the parents I see from day to day in the waiting rooms of doctors and therapists. We're all in this secret club. No one knows the secret knock to join, but once you've fallen through the trap-door, you're a member for life.
I thought of the unimaginable hope that parents with special children have. It is an incredible love. An unmovable patience. A complete unyielding to the idea that maybe one day...they'll walk, or run, or sit on their own, or talk, or feed themselves...but an absolute realism that it may never happen...and that's okay too.
Because we're the lucky ones. We're the ones who get to see the everyday miracles. And in those waiting rooms, and in those hallways passing, we share the victories, and with a little smile, cheer our silent cheers to them, and to their kids...Keep trying...I know you can do it.

(To read through all of these inspirational posters to parents of special needs children, just click on the pictures.)
8 comments:
The keyboard? Go Max!!!! What an awesome moment.
Once again I have to tell you how awesome I think you are, and I love you.
Aunt Nancy
This post made me cry. That never happens.
reading this while my own boy is downstairs working on a math book. braced for the fight that normally ensues.
remembering visits to Children's hospital. remembering so many things.
"that was the easiest multiplication I have EVER done, Mom!" he yells from the kitchen downstairs.
"I KNEW you could do it!" I say. Lines I stole from you. Words I forget he desperately needs to hear.
Up the stairs he climbs, not easy for him, moving his large frame through space. Momentum hard to gain.
"Look, Mom! I just climbed FOUR stairs in one step! I'm gonna try doing it again!"
I quickly wipe tears from my eyes and keep reading your post while I say, "No way! You so rock! Do it again!"
He does. I stop reading to cheer him on.
He blossoms as I try and stretch my short legs as far as his and chuckles as I am only able to make two steps at a time.
There's something he can do better than his mom. Something, no matter how hard she tries that she can never do because her legs are just too short.
I tell him to be careful, as, in his exuberance over climbing these stairs, he starts jumping from the landing to the top of the second floor and coming to rest on his knees.
Looking at him, you'd never know how hard it is being in his skin. You'd never know that his body is asked to support a body the size of a full grown man with the muscle strength of a 7 year old.
He is mine and we both catch a glimpse of "normalcy" and know how rare this was; his trying and my cheering him on.
Right now, I am watching in quiet awe as he takes this small victory and my support and SOARS through the house.
It takes so little to fill him up it seems. It's more than just me cheering him on, it's his efforts and success that are the magic ingredient.
I know this won't last just like I know there will be more days of sore backs, sore souls than there will be good ones but, in the brief time that this victory takes place and in the afterglow surrounding it, I find that it's indeed enough to get me through until the next win, the next triumph.
Deana - Both our sons share Cobalamin-C deficiency, we were lucky to find each other through the internet.I was a bit down today, I guess like you..just one of those days. I was having difficulty feeding Marc-Antony his formula(even though he has his feeding tube) I still found myself trying so hard to feed him by mouth; my shoulders were killing me. I read your post when he was peacefully sleeping for now; cause he will wake up several times in the middle of the night and will want to play like monster Max!!All this to say...that today, I will take my inspiration from you and be grateful that Marc-Antony learned to walk at 7 years old..(he's now 8)..I will grateful to hear his laughter even if he can't talk and I will be grateful that he can feed himself pieces of toasts and cereal. I will be grateful of what my son can do and accept what he cannot do. Thanks Deana I needed this tonight!! We'll be waiting for Max to reach those little miracles too! Like you said we are the LUCKY ones! Kiss Kiss
Thia, I thought he would go for the keyboard because it played songs, as it turned out he wanted to play his own song on it!
Aunt Nancy, I love you too. Thanks for reading my blog and commenting!
Deanna, didn't mean to drum up tears...just keeping it real around here.
Leanne, I thought of you as I wrote about the different parents I meet. keep on pushing for him!
Ray, sorry to hear it's been a rough day. Max has been a little monster with his tube the past couple of days too. He has found if he pushes on his belly while I'm feeding him, it will make the syringe pop out and spill his formula all over mommy!
I tell all of his doctors and therapists about Marc-Antony. I say, his buddy in Canada learned to walk at 7...so we have about 2 more years to catch up! Marc-Antony will do many more things, and so will you. Click on the photos and go read through those post-cards, print them out and look at them every day. I look at them about every day. They are a reminder to me that my job is a special one. And that Max needs me to do it.
You are all such an inspiration to me. Max makes me strive to be the best therapist I can. I love those posters. I am going to put them up in my office.
Hey Deana,
I was just finishing up reading all about what my 19 week old developing baby is doing now, how big it is (15cm crown to rump!), how it has toenails and teeth buds and can hear me this week and wondering when I'll feel it and I'm loving charting it's tiny but relatively rapid progress. I can't feel it move yet but I can't wait til I can. And then I read your post and was so moved (and hormonal!) that I cried lots and lots.
Whoever this life is inside me, and whatever challenges it brings, I suddenly felt overwhelmingly privileged to be able to bring it into the world and felt incredibly inspired - again! - at your exceptional cheer leading! If there are parents I want to emulate, you and Steve are it.
Give Max a "you can do it!" from me and tell him that I'm missing his cheeky kicks and iron grip! He needs a trip to London soon so that he can show off his musical skills!
Post a Comment