I love food. Love to try different food...love to cook...love to bake. Maybe it's because it is really the main thing I have control over through the never ending run on days. But I've been trying to change things up with my food selections.
I'm tired of sandwiches for lunch and some meat and potato/rice for dinner. So I've been trying some new things. Today I had pancakes for a late breakfast, and then had a mango with cottage cheese just now.
It got me to thinking, I wish I would have been older when Grandmama was still around, to cook for her, and let her try some of my adaptations on her classics! I think she really would have loved mango and cottage cheese...but honestly I don't know if she had ever tried a mango. It surely would have been a favorite of hers!
Then I thought of the other things I've had lately that she would have loved...pumelo for instance. It is the strangest sweetest grapefruit type fruit. It is almost flowery. Then I thought of my Aunt Nancy's pineapple dressing, which I make with Grandmama's favorite bread, the King's Hawaiian bread. She would have really loved that with her Christmas ham.
I love that I have such fond memories associated with food and Grandmama. And I love that every single recipe I made for Christmas came out of my other Grandma's and Aunts' family cookbook. It made the holidays extra special for me and Ang to have tastes from home.
What are some foods that remind you of your childhood? For me it is macaroni and cheese with Grandmama, and spaghetti and meatballs with Grandpa. Every time I have one of those meals I think of them!
9 comments:
Foods that remind me of my childhood...
1. bacon-wrapped meatloaf, mashed potatoes and frozen peas.
2. italian food...of any kind...
3. pineapple upside-down cake
It's going to sound gross, but I always equate bologna to my childhood. Mom didn't allow my sister and I to use the oven when we were home alone, so we got very creative with the microwave:)
I'm right there with you about loving food. I always have the best memories.
Welsh Rarebit. But I can't eat that anymore...
All the recipes you made at Christmas were delicious! We really enjoyed them too!
The company was wonderful! We miss you three now.
Food in childhood: spaghetti, jello, Christmas Eve meat pie (which no one in my current life appreciates), and camp pies!
i have never heard of pumelo. wow ... i need to check that one out.
i LOVE LOVE LOVE cooking too ... not as crazy about baking, but maybe that's cuz i'd rather eat a steaming, savory dish than a cookie or piece of cake. (hope Sal didn't hear that!)
no one could do a simple roast like my mom. i loved making sandwiches w/ the leftovers ... so tender ... it would practically melt in your mouth.
she also did a 'hot dish' made from hamburger, minestrone soup - and who knows what else ... i should get the recipe i guess!!
mmm... King Hawaiian rolls! I love those!
Childhood foods: Meatloaf with mashed potatoes (funny that "debbiearnn" had the same answer), chicken casserole, and chicken fajitas. They're still some of my favorites that my mom makes. Oh, and Campbell's Bean with Bacon soup!
debbie...bacon wrapped meatloaf! yowzas!
chi...let your OK flag fly! I ate many a bologna and white bread with miracle whip and iceberg lettuce. and my mom didn't let us use the oven, I made a mean toast "grilled" cheese.
Deanna...what is welsh rarebit? I'm going to have to look it up!
Mom...we all had a good time! We bought Rummikub to get all caught up by the next time we see each other.
Thia...what's a camp pie? Every time I see lime or orange jello I think of my Aunt Teresa...she always made those for me!
Kris...pumelo are messy to eat, but so worth it! The skin is super thick, and the flesh is hard to get to, and you don't eat any part but the flesh because the rest is bitter! We get ours at costco or at the asian market. And my mom made AWESOME roast! With onions and potatoes and carrots!!!
Lauren...you and your bean and bacon soup...I don't think I've ever seen that!
Camp pies (only to be made when camping of course): You can buy the mold things at Wal Mart, but ours have been in the family for eons. Piece of bread, a few spoons of pie filling, a marshmallow, piece of bread. Into the mold tong thing it goes and into the coals of a camp fire. The bread gets all toasty, the pie filling hot and sweet, the marshmallow melty. Mmmmmmmmm. I want one for breakfast.
Post a Comment