Thursday, January 22, 2009

Friends may come...and Friends may go...

At 6:00pm Mountain Time, I'll have Max choose. If a comment comes in after that point, we won't be adding it to the drawing. I'll let everyone know this evening who the winner is! Thanks for playing!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The internet is a strange beast. 9 years ago, I moved away from the town I was born in and grew up my first 21 years. Most of the friends I hung onto through the years have moved away from my home town as well.

So back to the internet. A couple of years ago I got started looking into myspace. I wanted to keep up with my baby brother and sister, and that's where the youngin's were hanging out. So I signed up and low and behold...people started finding me.

People I hadn't heard from in almost 10 years were sending me emails wanting to "be my friend". Most of them I was excited to be back in touch with...a few I never responded to!

One friendship that was re-introduced was that of my friend Aisha. She and I didn't exactly run around in the same groups in high-school. But, I would say we knew who each other was, and would happily chat if we ran into each other. I did go to one of the largest high-schools in Oklahoma, with a graduating class of around 500. I didn't know every one, but I did know Aisha...because she was the smartest kid in our class!

I also knew her because I was incredibly jealous of her cultural back-ground. Yes, I've always been a culture geek, and when she danced in a multi-cultural assembly I remember being so awe-struck at the colors of her dress, and the twirling, and the beat of the music.

So the internet has brought us back around to friendship, one without cliques and extra-curricular activities to belong to. Just two moms, hacking away at life, with enough similarities to look past the differences.

So, in keeping with the promise of new things on my blog, I want to introduce to you, my friend Aisha.

She has done something recently that I would love to do one day. She's started her own business. She is making hand made jewelry and selling it on Etsy.com, at her store Treasure Box Jewelry.

Here's a sampling of her beautiful work.




To celebrate new friends, and old friends, and this being my 200th post, we are going to do something that has never been done on my blog. A GIVEAWAY!!!!!!!!!!

For this giveaway, Aisha has agreed to send to the winner these Turquoise and Honey Earrings. If I could get away with wearing dangle earrings with Max, these are my first choice of favorites on her site! I love the colors!

To enter, leave a comment with an answer to this question:

Have you found any long lost friends since joining social networking groups like Facebook, or Myspace, or just blogging?

The winner will be chosen by a most scientific method...Max will choose. :)

So, answer the question for a chance to win, but also, be sure to head over to Treasure Chest Jewelry and tell all of your friends. Oh...and don't blame me when you become addicted to Etsy.

29 comments:

Thia said...

Ohhh, her things are SO pretty! It's great to catch up with people. I don't know if I've really connected with any long lost friends, but I do keep in better touch with some family. We're all spread out so much that all the cousins haven't exactly kept in touch through the years. Just this past week I added another though!

debbiearnn said...

Wow! This stuff is beautiful! I joined xanga and met you...and a bunch of other people who I'd never met before. But you asked about old friends, right?

When I joined facebook this fall, I met up with a BUNCH of people I used to run around with in elementary, high school and college. It's been a lot of fun catching up and seeing where and how everybody turned out. It's like all those labels are gone. No more "nerds" and "snobs" and "preppies" and "hoods".

Is it like that for you, too?

Tell Max to pick ME! pick ME! I LOVE your friend's jewelry. It's gorgeous!

ferfischer said...

OK - I'll play too.

I've connected with a lot of people via Facebook that I never expected to talk to again. A couple special friends from college, and some high school friends. It's interesting to see their statuses each day!

davidhamilton83 said...

I have a lot of people I have reconnected with from Tulsa, but I guess being able to reconnect with you (and the rest of the family) is my favorite part. I like hearing about all the awesome things that Max is doing

Kate Rudd said...

I love etsy, and her stuff is beautiful! :) Thanks for directing us to her store.


I guess that, for me, social networking sites haven't really connected me so much to old friends as they've allowed me to stay more current with my family. Also, I've been honored to make new friends in the blog world. :)

Glad you're still writing here - I admire you and Max very much.

Unknown said...

I joined facebook at the prompting of my fantastic brother, Steve. I never would have imagined the joy and healing that such a simple move could have made.
Growing up, we make silly choices, that really impact the rest of our lives. Through immaturity, we hurt people, lose touch with friends, and move on so quickly, without even stopping to look back. I have come to a point in my life, that I am so busy to even participate in casual friendships. Being a single working mother, I rarely have time to exercise, never do I hit a happy hour with the "girls".
I have come to a point where I am growing comfortable in my skin, but know that I have treated people in a nonchalant fashion that I never would at this point in my life.
Facebook has me connected to probably 80% of the people who have meant a lot to me. I has allowed me to ask forgiveness, mend friendships, and show a grace that I never would have done without such an outlet. I can know that my freind Char just got back from a cruise, though I have missed her dearly for 15 years. I know that my friend Christine is struggling with breast cancer, and that she just moved over the holidays. I know that James is cheering for the Steelers, and that Steve received many wonderful birthday wishes.
Facebook united the country on innauguration day along with CNN. And I am well aware that I have friends with many differing political views.
I am thrilled to be in touch with some many, and a part of their day to day lives.
My mother will even be joining Facebook this weekend, truly a miracle.
I am thankful that in a time when life is so rushed, so cruel at times, we can have a point where we have friends, who are eating cereal, at work, and looking forward to the weekend...

Mat and Kristin said...

200 posts! I can't believe it.

I think you know my answer! I got to reconnect with you and Chi! Long lost friends from high school. :)

Deana said...

Thia: I've connected with a lot of family too!

Debbie: I have noticed that it is easier being "friends" with people as adults than it was in school! I think because I am more secure in who I am than I was in school!

Jenny: I agree about statuses! Or occupations!

David: Steve asked if you will be wearing these earrings if you win!? I'm glad I've reconnected with you and Derek and all the other cousins, since we live so far away now!

Kate: Good to "see" you!

Shauna: I remember you signing up for it at our house...and saying "how did all these people find me!". Did you talk mom into a facebook account?

Kristin: I am so glad we are reconnected! I'm thinking this summer we should try to "meet in the middle" and go to Ikea!

Unknown said...

oh my yes -- and for me, these are some OOOOOOOOOLD friends -- i graduated from HS about the time you were born!

it has really been fun to catch up w/ people i haven't seen in over 20 years - and keep in closer touch w/ many, like you, that i have barely even seen F2F.

and may i just finish by saying, this jewelry is lovely - and i hope the fact that i can actually sing a little opera will compel Max to choose me!
;-)

Deana said...

Kudos to those of you actually trying to persuade Max. He won't know who he is choosing from...because he will play favorites. ;)

Kris: singing opera would likely put you to the top of the list...again...that he won't know about!

Danetta said...

Aisha has beautiful things on Etsy alright. Thanks to you setting me up in Greece on Myspace, I have found some family that I haven't talked to in MANY years and we are now in touch regularly. I hadn't really found any old friends until tonight AFTER I read this. I have made several new friends through your blogs and now also through mine.

Chris Marsden said...

I think Facebook has been the best connector for me as far as past friendships go. I have reconnected with people I knew years ago, but it has also enabled me to maintain relationships that would have faded away under other circumstances.

Just recently, I reconnected with a guy I had met when our youth group went on a missions trip to Antigua right after High School. I hadn't talked to him since that last day when he flew home to NC and I flew home to Florida.

However, my summer camp team is mostly connected through Facebook (and twitter) and so from year to year we are able to maintain connections even though we don't live near each other.

Same scenario, but 12 years later.

Anonymous said...

Wow--such beautiful jewelry. Very impressive.

Yep, I've gotten in touch (on FB) w/many friend from college and from our 'old' youth groups. It's been pretty darn cool.

I love that Max is choosing. :-)

Aisha said...

What great stories! Thanks, Deana for such a generous post...I think you've embellished somewhat ;)

Chi said...

Well, I found you, Kristin and Aisha! So glad to have you all in my life.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I think I might need that rose locket necklace. Then I went to Aisha's Etsy site and have fallen in love with two other necklaces... Decisions...

I think the funnest people for me to reconnect with have been my buds from elementary school. We made a Faith Lutheran Facebook group; it's hilarious to see these adults that I've always pictured as 7-year-olds!

V. said...

old friends...from as far back as elementary school....and it's wierd, some of those friendships have picked right up again even tho' there are 25-30 years gone by...!

Love Love Love etsy....you can get to my shop through my blog.

oh...love love love dangly earrings too!

V.

Anonymous said...

I am not part of the facebook, my space or the blogging world, etc. But thanks to your blog..almost 2 years ago...I found you and Max doing a google search on my son's disorder only to have your blog come up! If you wouldn't blog I wouldn't have found another little boy sharing the exact disorder of my son!! You then introduce me to the OAA list server and made some strong connection there!! How cool is that!?! Thanks for sharing Aisha's treasure box jewelry! I fell in love with her dragonfly necklace!!

Deana said...

Hi everyone! Thanks for the comments, Max will choose tonight, and I will post the winners either late late tonight, or tomorrow.

Deana said...

And anonymous, I would need to know your identity if you win...you can email me directly if you'd prefer.

jen said...

i love the jewelry...

i've reconnected with people i knew as far back as college, junior high, high school and have even started mending fences with my sister after about 2 years...all due to facebook..believe it or not...but the most amazing thing for me is making friends with whom i've bared my soul to, yet never met......
;)
thanks.....deana

jen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Happy 200th! I only regret those I've missed. And yes, I have found many new old friends and enjoying ever single connection.

Ignoring those I didn't confirm as well...DOH!

Deana said...

Comments for the drawing are closed...you can still comment if you like, but your name will not be entered.

Thanks for playing everyone! Remember to head over to Aisha's shop and buy some of her beautiful pieces of jewelry!

Anonymous said...

Hi Deana, Anonymous here...well it's actually Raymonde (Marc-Antony's mom) LOL...I didn't mean to send it anonymous...but it did.. Still not good at these thing!! LOL. So happy that your Friend Chi won the earrings! You go Max!! nice work!! I still chose "anonymous" in the section choose an identity cause it won't let me choose another category as they are replying I do not have the correct answer LOL

Deana said...

Raymonde, I thought it was you! I will have Steve look at the comments to see if there is another way to leave your name.

Deana said...

oh, if you choose Name/URL you can put your name instead of anonymous.

Anonymous said...

Deana - Ray here..just testing ..with name/url...

Anonymous said...

Ok - it works cause it said "your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval"- thanks!