Well, that was fun! Now that we all agree that the first class I went to was an absolute nightmare, let's move on to something else!
My friend, Jenny, has this "Goodreads" badge on her blog, so like a monkey, I clicked on it to see what it was, and found a gem of a site!
Goodreads is a site that catalogs your books, allows you to write reviews, recommend books to your friends, make comments on your friends' book choices. I loaded my books into my list, and put my own badge on the side of my page here. So go ahead...click on it...you know you want to!
After you click on it...and look through my books, let me know if any of them look like something you'd like to read together. I want to do a sort of a book-club hosted on my blog. Maybe we can host it a month at a time on eachother's blog. If there is any interest, let me know in comments. I have a couple of ideas for a book choice, and of course, if you have any ideas you can comment those too.
I've never participated in a book club, so I don't really know how it all works. My best guess is we all read the same book, then comment on it. Seems easy enough. I know how to read, and have opinions on what I have read!
So, what about you?
14 comments:
Fun! I'll try to browse your library later.
I would love to do a book club this way.
Sounds good - I looked through your list of books on there - we have very similar taste - I've read many of the ones you have! I have also an Indian/Turkish/Middle Eastern penchant for books. When I'm not reading chick lit, that is. Anyway, on your to read list - LOVED a suitable boy, even if it took me FOREVER to read. I think I may even have it somewhere. I can lend it to you! It's really long, so the library might not be a good idea for that one!
Jenny, I have a suitable boy...it is bigger than the bible! ;) BIg books intimidate me, but I read a review from another blogger, a lit. teacher in scotland, how she reads it every year and it is so beautiful...so the last time Steve was in Portland, I sent him to Powell books to buy it and 14 other books for me in the used book section!
The books I love most are written by South Asian or Middle Eastern women, who have moved to the West, and write about the divide between being stuck in both worlds. :) I also loved the books written about the East End of London. Salaam Brick Lane might just be my favorite book ever.
I've also thought of picking one up for the book club that we may have all read in high-school through curriculum force, but could get something completely different out of it now that we don't HAVE to read it...like To Kill A Mockingbird, or The Great Gatsby, or The Scarlet Letter. All books I had to read...but only read cliff notes because I hated my English Lit. teacher and therefore hated her class!
So...any more ideas?
thank you for the ideas. I just checked a couple of your books in our library search and they are here, so I get to expand my reading material to something new- if you pick a book, post it and I'll see if it's here to read along.
I would love to be part of a book club. I have never been in one either- although I did organize one for my first grader if that counts. All your books look great. I would be happy to try whatever you choose. Maybe this will help motivate me to start my blog? If only we could add a few hours to the day- or make me need less sleep- either would work.
Deana, this is great! I would love to join it...though if you wanna talk about being stuck in both worlds, just talk to me! :) actually, some of the books seem to overdramatize it but others are right on. and we do have similar tastes...you have a lot of good books on the list! How would you decide which one to read? I would be game for any one of them! Maybe a poll thing would work and then whichever one gets the most votes post it on your blog as the book of the month. But this is a great way to read and discuss!
btw, my security word is "woogit" ....love it!
I must be doing something wrong, but I can't find your list.
There is a link if you can't see the box on the side of my front page.
http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2022398
I am going to a book store later and will look at a couple of books I have in mind, and then ask for a vote.
Yes on the book club! About your previous post, I tell everyone I know about your experience and we all have the same expression of "what!!!!!" on our faces. I can't believe that woman. I'm sorry you had to experience that!
YIPEE! I finally found your list and my amazon list will be growing by leaps and bounds. I never met anyone who read the Princess trilogy before!
I can't decide!!!!!! I think the problem is I have 3 different books I am trying to read right now...none of them have captured me enough to read right through them.
Thia,
I have bought the Princess Trilogy 3 times, and always give them away to someone else to read! I haven't put them back in my library yet since settling back down. I really enjoy all of her books. Esther is her only one I've not read yet. Mayada was another great story by Jean Sasson.
You mean she has other books? No! No! No! My poor amazon list can't stand it!
Post a Comment