Monday, February 4, 2008

Cool Parents...

AJ on
Thingamababy

asks:

"Then answer the question: What's the coolest thing your mom or dad did for you when you were a kid? It doesn't need to be unique, or arsty or anything... just something special you recall from your childhood."

In my childhood I think I would have said they take us to the lake on the weekends, or we eat chinese food on Sunday together.

But now being an adult, one thing sticks out to me. A gift my parents gave me that can never be taken back, and I'm sure came about by complete accident. Because when you're raising 4 kids all within 5 years of age, how can anything be planned out!?! They let me be me.

I was a weird kid I think. Looking back, I always felt like a weird kid at least. I didn't like to play like the rest of the kids, or watch cartoons as much. My perfect day was to wake up early, watch a little Bob Ross and Frugal Cook, eat some raisin bran, draw or paint, sit on the side of the yard and pretend to be teaching school in a tent in africa, all while dressed in a plaid skirt, polka dot shirt, and cowboy boots. And do you know what...they let me. All the time they let me.

I hated playing sports, so they put me in ballet. Ballet was much more work than softball! But I loved it so much more too! And I know they probably couldn't afford it, and I only went to one set of classes, but I will always remember it, and I really did love it. And when I did play softball because that's where everyone else was for the season, I never got in trouble for sitting down in outfield and picking flowers or four leaf clovers instead of waiting for the ball. And I was never pushed to be in the advanced classes in school. I made good grades, and was good at what I knew, and I think that was enough. And I think they each knew that I preferred to have one on one time with people, because it seemed like I got to do that more than the others did. At least, that's how I remember it.

I don't think growing up I would have been an independent child, at least I didn't feel very independent. But I know now I must have had some sort of independence to be where I am today. They've always told me they were proud of me, when I got married first, and moved three states away, and had a baby that was not what any of us had expected. And now moving across the world. To start something new. They never say, you can't do that...or make me feel like I live in a dream world. I think they know that whatever they did, they must have done it right. And I haven't disappointed them yet, so why not go for it.

And the security in knowing that, is one of the best gifts my parents have given me...and I think that is way cool.

4 comments:

Danetta said...

No matter how hard it is to see you go, I have never been more proud of you.

Jessi said...

This post was so encouraging to me...My daughter very much just wants to do her own thing and just doesn't seem to care about what others are doing, or wearing, or watching. She just likes what she likes. She's kinda different, and since I homeschool, that tends to scare me. I'm very conscious of not wanting my kids to be 'weird homeschoolers'; and I really don't think that's it...she's just unique. This has encouraged me to just let her be her, and keep cultivating who she really is.

Thanks.

I'm really glad to re-find you and be keeping up with you (and Max!) and all that's going on with you guys. I cannot imagine doing all you are doing...moving and everything. Somehow I feel sad that you are going, even though I've never met you face to face! I hope that you keep blogging from the other side of the ocean!

Danetta said...

Being the cool momma that I am, somewhere I have pictures of this fashion statement. :)

Unknown said...

i appreciate that my parents always had high expectations of me.
not the 'you better get good grades' kind, but more the - 'you better behave like a decent human being' kind.

i'm not sure how they did it, but they instilled in me/us a desire to live w/ integrity.

i may not always achieve it, but i do know what it should look like and i know when i miss the mark -- and i STILL don't want to let them down ....