Friday, May 30, 2008

Ode to Watermelon...

Dear sweet watermelon....why do you tempt me so? For months you tease with your ripeness...only to be mushy or flavorless.

But then...then summer comes...and you turn delicious. I can eat you in your entirety in one day. I cut you up, scoop you out, put you in a bowl in the refrigerator. And all through the day I take bites. A happy little reminder that summer is here...and so shall you be for three glorious watermelon filled months.

I heap you in my bowl until it is overflowing...and then fill my fork with as much as it will hold...and then take a bite with my fingers. I sprinkle you with plenty of salt, because without it, you just don't taste right. And then I gobble you up. Even your seeds do not bother me. They are something I will gladly deal with just to have you.

But watermelon...oh watermelon. Even though I love you so...why do you hurt me the way that you do? There may not be another human on this planet that loves you as much as I...yet you turn my stomach into a washing machine on full spin cycle. You tempt me with your deliciousness all the live long day...then wrench my stomach all the live long night.

But alas dear watermelon...it is the price I have always paid for you...and will continue to pay...down to the very last bite of your white rind. Because you and I both know that's the best part.

Now dear watermelon...I must go...to clean the splatter of your goodness off of my keyboard and screen. I will see you in the morning for breakfast.

5 comments:

Danetta said...

Oh crud! I just about fell out of my chair that made me laugh so much.

Anonymous said...

Wow. And I thought I liked watermelon. I have been planning for sometime a garden (Spring 09) and this has inspired me to include watermelon in the list of things to plant.

V. said...

I once heard a saying about watermelon....

Eat it alone, or leave it alone.

Basically that means it does NOT combine well with any other food in your belly. Try leaving at least 4 hours between eating it and anything else and you might find your tummy troubles are a thing of the past...

V.
(and that tidbit of wisdom is not due to the natural habitat of watermelons growing in Canada...)

Deana said...

Chris you should! When we were little my dad would always buy one on the way to the lake, and cool it in the water all day, to eat after a long day of swimming. Sometimes he would buy yellow fleshed ones. And I've always wanted to grow those!

V, do you guys not have watermelons in Canada? I've eaten watermelon in 5 different countries. The best watermelon was in Jamaica!

V. said...

We can grow ' em - they just don't get very big - our growing season is just not long enough. We can get them to basketball size or so...

We import the really big ones from Texas or Mexico.