Stella...Nanny was what I called her. My Grandmama's Mama. This was the color of her fingernails...and her hair was as white as cotton. She made incredible cobblers, and always said to me, "Honey...come give Nanny a sugar.."

Hazel...Hazel Marie. My Granny...my grandfather's mom. I have her diamond necklace...and I have since I was a young teen. She made the BEST burgers, and let us play drive-in with her little window outside of the kitchen. And of course, she made Granny Cake...in a special pan, which I have now. Granny is a poppy because of the bed of poppies she had at her house...right by the storm cellar, that I was so scared of!

Barbara...My Grandmama, my Mom's mom. I hear her voice in my sisters' laughs. She collected Angels, and made the best best best Macaroni and Cheese in the world! I have her mac and cheese pan now. I have little things around the house that remind me of her. I wish I just had her instead of the things. I chose the purple irises for Grandmama to match the eyeshadow she always wore...that and I liked the way the light shown through them.

Rosie...My Grandma Yandell...my Dad's mom. The mother of six...that's SIX children, and 15 grandchildren, and 6, almost 7 great-grandchildren. Grandma Yandell makes the best Thanksgiving stuffing, and Lemon Cake...which she often makes for me when I come home. She is every rose I see. When I see a rose I think of Grandma, and then I think of her face. She has the softest skin I've ever felt. I remember being little and loving to feel her cheek, so soft like a rose petal. The most beautiful rose I have ever seen is in our neighbors yard. I saw it and it literally took my breath away. I told Steve it reminds me of Grandma Yandell, and so it is her picture.

Danetta...My Momma. The BEST...BEST BEST mom a kid could ask for. I know a lot of people say that because you're suppose to, but really, I LOVED having her as my mom growing up. She was just the right mix of smart, and pretty, and fun, and silly, and mean, and good. She would dance when she cleaned the house, and let us skate across the freshly waxed kitchen floor. She made us clothes, and every single meal. I have always had silly names for her, Mo-Mo, Mommafro, Mommy Poo. Today she's the person I talk to every day. She's a very different mom now in my mind from the mom I had growing up. Not that it's a bad thing, just that the mom I needed then, is not the mom I need now. And I think that's what I love most of all about her. She is always EXACTLY what she was meant to be when God decided she was supposed to be my mom. So why is the most important lady in my life a little daisy? I guess because it's so unassuming, just like her. But tell me, who doesn't smile when they see a daisy? They brighten any day.
3 comments:
Very beautiful Deana. You made me cry. I hope you have a really great Mother's Day. You are a wonderful Mom! Love you and miss you, Nancy
beautiful post!
Happy mother's day!
Oh my! You leave me speachless. I love you
Post a Comment