I know I dangled the carrot out there about a book club...but something has happened.
Like so often before, I have been forcing myself to read a book for over a year now. I'll read a page or two at a time, then it goes back on the shelf for a couple of months, until I pick it up again and give it another go...until FINALLY I get sucked in and I can't put it down.
So, while I was ready to find a new book, I hit the corner with the book I am reading now and I have to finish it before I can start another.
Shantaram is the book I'm reading, and if anyone is interested, you can certainly join along. I don't know that it will be every one's cup of tea...but it has got me now so I'll stick with it until the end...all 940+ pages of it! You can follow the link to Amazon to read reviews and the synopsis.
One line I read today stuck out to me, and made me decide to continue on. It was spoken by the leader of the Mumbai Mafia, he said to the main character, Lin, who said he didn't believe in God. He said, 'There is no believing in God. We either know God, or we do not.'. I liked it...it struck me. His style of writing is very poetic, and therefore, hard to chew through at the beginning. But once you get into the rhythm of the book it takes you away. You can click here on Google Books to see a good preview of the book to get an idea of the writing style, to see if you might like it.
Now, I do still have other books to read if this isn't the one for you. And you can certainly chime in with one of your choices too, in comments. I'll let you know what I think of it once it's finished.
4 comments:
Oh yikes. that is quite a book. A little like "A suitable boy" - very long! I probably need to invest in that one, since I surely won't finish in 3 weeks that the library gives me! By the way - I'll find a Suitable Boy to give you - it's just collecting dust on my shelves!
Jenny,
It's on my shelf already, pass it along to someone else. :)
ooo... i think i'm in for Shantaram. just reading about the author makes me want to read it. perhaps i shall purchase it this weekend. all the libraries seem to be out with many a hold (which i guess is a good sign as to the quality of the book!)
i'm still wading through three cups of tea, but it just isn't sucking me in, so i'd like a good novel to keep me busy.
Lauren:
It's funny how much I am empathizing with this criminal...routing for him to escape prison...liking the mafia boss...and I'm only on page 140 of 940!
Steve read it before me, and he really enjoyed it. It's being made into a movie with Johnny Depp playing the lead part.
Post a Comment