Sometimes I wonder just why I am the one to be put in such ridiculous situations. I have a feeling because I won't keep my mouth shut in said situations. I will say what needs to be said, and make sure that the next person doesn't have to deal with the same issues I had to.
Last night was one of those situations.
I went to my CNA class without really knowing what to expect. I signed in, got my packet of supplies, and books and sat in the very back...my favorite place to sit in any class.
The class consisted of 10 other students, mostly women, one guy. The teacher came in and started right off with telling us "a bit about herself". She said she got started 38 years ago as a CNA "just like you". "Only, I had just had an illegitimate daughter...you know what illegitimate means don't you?, It means I was an awful person...I had a daughter without being married...so that made me an awful person...they charged me more for car insurance...I didn't have a job...and after the second time of her being in the hospital for dehydration-the nurses asked me what I was going to do with my life-and that's when I decided to be a CNA. So then I moved to the big city with me and my illegitimate child and got a job at a hospital, and met a man and got married, had another child who was disabled, then had another child and when that baby was 6 months old I got a divorce. So I was on my own and had my oldest daughter, and my youngest child, and I couldn't handle my 5 year old disabled child any more so I had to give her to foster care. That's when I got my LPN and have been working in nursing homes ever since. ".
**--BLINK--BLINK--**
Yeah...that was the first ten minutes of class.
She went on to tell us about the "Moslim Man" she had to work with..."You know about the Moslims...they don't like women...that's why I left and started my own school" This is when I choked on the drink I was taking. She mentioned to one of the young ladies in the class that she didn't need a man in her life, she would do fine as a single mom, and once she got this training she wouldn't need to worry about paying rent because she could afford a good apartment, that's what she did. "Even though we had to sit around on the floor like Chinamen, it was still fun.", oh yeah, this student...she was Asian.
Once we got past the introductions, she started into the packet information. Where she told us that if you have a felony or were crazy you would never get to be a nurse. (Really...because woman you are C-R-A-Z-Y!!) She also told us that she didn't want any "crazies" in her class, and if anyone had a mental illness to just "take your medicine-I don't want to deal with any crazies"...then she got off on a story about the nursing home that takes care of "the crazies" how they were the worst of the worst. But also the most fun to take care of, because "they won't remember you from one day to the next anyway.".
She told us about the Rehab hospital here...about how it's the best in the nation, but "I wouldn't work there...I can't stand seeing 16 year old kids in wheelchairs, knowing they'll never walk again.".
Oh my gosh...it was awful...this is just a peppering of her ignorant remarks, she gave horrific story after horrific story about the local nursing homes, and how "it's my job to teach you how to deal with all of their behavioral issues, about how they'll lay down in front of the door, but you just have to step right over them, because they are acting like children looking for attention.".
But the kicker for me was when she pointed out "all you moms with special needs kids, when we go to clinicals, (meaning going for the 8 hour days in the nursing homes), don't be talking about your special needs kids and all their disabilities...or how sick they are...or that they're dying...nobody wants to hear that.".
That was towards the end of the class. I gathered my things at the end and barely got to my car before I started crying. What an awful human. The head of this school that puts out the workers that go and care for those who can't care for themselves. I was sick.
And before you ask why I didn't get up after the first racial slur, I had no idea what the implications were for me leaving. If this was the only class I could take for this program, or if I could go to another school. So I sat through the first class. And called first thing this morning to the agency who sent me there.
Thankfully, they were absolutely supportive of me. And said they would get me into any other school I wanted. I chose another one, and will be starting March 9th. It's a bit further from our house, but hopefully it will be better. The agency also said they aren't going to use that school any more, and they will offer the other mothers in the class to take another class somewhere else.
So...that was my fiasco of a class. It made me sick...and mad...and cry. I still believe I only had to go there in order to blow my siren about it. And I am more hopeful about the other class.
19 comments:
I... uh... oh my... what?... unbelievable! unbelievable. jaw is dropped. never have i heard anything close to that in my healthcare experience. never. that is just.... wow.
OH.
MY.
GOODNESS.
That makes me so MAD!!!!!
Debbie, I kept thinking of you when she was describing the nursing homes. And I was getting mad too! I thought, this is the lady working in those nursing homes!!!
Lauren, I wished you were sitting by me, because I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have stayed quiet!
ick ....
i'm sitting here, just stunned. that is absolutely unbelievable. i wonder if -- and hope -- there were phone-calls made by every other person that was in that room last night.
i am amazed anyone who is clearly insensitive would choose a career that surrounds her with people who need -- and deserve -- nothing more than sensitivity .....
here's hoping your next class is 100% better ... wow.
ha! you're right about that! it's probably good i wasn't there...
I can't believe that she can be like that and be doing her job! I feel sorry for the people under her care and can't believe she could've been left unchallenged! I really hope the next experience is a better one! For you and the other mums.
When you told me about this on the phone I had so many emotions. Reading it I am just angry.
I am so glad you were able to get out of that school - definitely not the right place for you, or anyone who cares to care for other people. How terribly sad!! I pray that nobody in my family ever ends up in the hands of someone like that.
Wow.
You are correct, someone needs to stand up for what is right. Someone needs to say "the king has no clothes on". I am so sorry that you had to experience even one class of it.
How horrible! Did everyone else in the room seem as stunned as you? I am glad you were able to arrange for a different class. That someone with that attitude is caring for the "lease of these" is hard to take.
oh my goodness! how horrible that was for you! i am just sitting here in shock...you're right, what an awful human! I echo what everyone else is saying about being so mad!
I am so glad that you got moved to another school. I hope everything in the next class is amazing!
And I hope someone tells off that "crazie!"
Ugh. It's sad there are people like that out there. Hopefully enough people complained that she won't be teaching that class anymore. Here's hoping the next teacher won't be a disaster like this one.
Deana, am sad for what you went through. Glad you dont have to go 'her' class anymore and will be able to find another one.
I see situations like this around me 'all' the time! Sometimes, am amazed by the stupidity of the person, and the audacity with which they go on with their racial slur. Its really unbelievable, but i know it happens, because i experience it!
Hope you feel better. !
You are already certified, this class is a mere formality!
Try to look at it this way- when you write your first book- this will be a fabulous chapter. I can't believe this happened to you- I am so sorry. Your new class has to be better!
Thank you everyone for your comments! I know I'm not the only one who saw this as absolutely out of this world wrong.
I think the new school will be better...because I think ANYTHING would be better than that!
I am hoping to get past this all and figure out a way to start a program directed at families caring for their family members. Not everyone doing this wants to work in a nursing home.
Wow! That is horrid and so sad that that lady is let into places to "care" for people. I'm so sorry for you and the others and am glad that you stood your ground to find another class. Hopefully enough people complain so that she will learn something and not be left in a position to lambaste people like that- students or people in need of care!
I still have my mouth open as I finished reading this! S-H-O-C-K-I-N-G!!! For our short life on this earth, nobody should go through this experience! Can you imagine that woman having been given the gift of special needs children? It is a good thing that she's not the one taking care of them now! Wow! there is a God! your other class will definitely be a million times better than this one! Good for you! don't forget she is the "minority"; there is a lot of good human being out there that one day will take care of our children "IF" that day ever comes!Hang in there!
I am curious to know if any of the other parents left the class. Is there anyway for you to find that out?
Hopefully someone does have a conversation with this teacher, she needs to know that she is offending her "customers". It doesn't seem that her business would last long these days making offensive comments.
Hope next month delivers a better result.
Post a Comment