Saturday, August 1, 2009

The short and skinny...

I could make this a long dramatic post about what I've learned and yadda yadda yadda...but the short and skinny of it is...I took my CNA test yesterday and passed the written test, but failed one skill out of five on the skills test. It was a ridiculous mistake, one I absolutely should have caught, but my nerves got the best of me and I read the scale wrong. Instead of seeing the patient weighed 155, I saw 130. It was a split second decision, but once I wrote it down and said I was finished, there was no going back to correct it, and I caught it was wrong immediately!

I finished all 4 of the rest of my skills perfectly, but felt humiliated and embarrassed and totally like I had let myself down. I left the testing room in tears, and knew I had failed it. (You fail even one portion, you fail the whole thing). I had sat there from 7:30 yesterday morning, and was the very last person to test. I was spent, exhausted, and just completely over it. And as soon as she told me I just bawled and bawled. I'd worked so hard to get it right and messed up something so stupid.

I came home and cried more...and kicked myself a few more times. But I know it was just one of those moments in time that happen in life...and surely I'll learn from it...and go back and do it perfectly! I have to send in the fail results and re-test at the earliest date they have. In the mean time, my "trial period" is up with working as Max's CNA. I have to be certified by the state to continue on. So I will be taking a break from that until I'm fully certified. Luckily I only have to do the skills, not the written portion again.

Today, I'm up and doing all the things a mommy does...especially when that mommy has to do things a CNA would do. And that's frustrating to me. Knowing I know it...but I'll drop the CNA status for a while and just be mommy. I prefer that title any day.

I'll keep you all posted about when my next test will be!

Oh...and as for the surprise for today...the stinkiness is
on their way home...and will be staying with us for a while...



Now if that's not something to smile about...I don't know what is!

4 comments:

ferfischer said...

Many hugs. It just sucks when you make a silly mistake and yuck yuck yuck! Don't be too hard on yourself - we all do it. Plus, it's much more fun to be a mommy than a CNA! :)

lauren said...

i'm smiling. :)

Madame Angela Baggett said...

I'm so sorry about the test. I know that would be extremely frustrating and disappointing. Of course if you read my scale less by 25 lbs, I'd probably kiss you, that sure would be nice. But I know dem medical courses like to be precise an all. Hope your day shines brighter tomorrow.

Mat and Kristin said...

I'm sorry! I know you must be disappointed, but you now know you'll totally ace it the next time. Mistakes happen!