We've had quite an eventful few days around here! This weekend was a flurry of doing things needed for our move. Taking things to storage...still getting rid of things...deciding what to take.
Yesterday Max was really tired. He slept nearly all day, and all through the night. I should have known something was up! This afternoon he was increasingly in "Elmo's World", as we call it when he gets in his little trances and doesn't want to be touched or talked to. Then he started having seizure like activity, but it was not seizure, because as soon as the episode would pass he would start asking for Elmo, or be talking about something. The episodes started getting closer together, and I took him into our room where Steve was on a phone meeting. I wanted Steve to see what Max was doing, and to help me decide if we should give him an extra dose of his medicine. That's when the wretching started. Like he did nearly a month ago, that landed us in the hospital!!!
We called the neurologist, because Max had been eating well all day. I wasn't worried about him being dehydrated either. Dr. L. told us to double his dose of medicine for the migraines. He went on for about another hour, but then it quit just as quickly as it came up on us. He woke up at about 5:00pm from napping while I held him, only to eat 2 full cans of formula! He was hungry!
He's sleeping now, after giving him some Tylenol in case he has any pain from all of the extra movement he had going on today.
Steve's on his way to California for the week. I'm hoping next week I'll get to see my husband more than two days in a row.
At one point today, we were trying to get Max to tell us what was going on, by using his switch. This episode didn't follow the cycle he has been on, so we were confused as to why he was doing it. I asked him to start his choices and let me know what was going on. I asked him if he was spinning (because I had a feeling he felt dizzy), his head hurt, his tummy hurt, or if he was having ickies (what we call seizures). He told me he was spinning...then would laugh! In fact he told me a total of 5 times he was spinning, even after I changed the order of choices around. And in between each episode he would get very excited and laugh. I think he may feel extremely dizzy during these episodes, but to him it just feels funny. Sometimes it really seems to scare him though, so I was glad he was thinking it was fun today.
It's a strange thing, that's for sure. But I am glad it only lasts for a bit and then is over. It just is sure difficult while we're going through it. We see his metabolic team, and his neurologist next Thursday. Then we have about a week and a half left here in Denver. Crazy crazy crazy...I think I'm the one who is spinning!
8 comments:
hi there. its wonderful how he tells you what is going on with him! I wish you the very best on your journey :)
A thought: when you twirl or "spin" Max around, do you all laugh? And he laughs? His word association might be with that experience.
He does laugh...it's his fun time with Daddy. But he would throw his hands back like he was spinning, today it is funny, yesterday it was not fun!
did you just say "a week and a half"?
wow!
Yeah...I was wrong on that one...looks more like 2 and a half! Cool...I have some more time!
I can just see him laughing about it after he tells you he is spinning. Such a smart little guy. I am glad he is having a better day today.
I'm glad Max is better now--man, the time is flying. I can't believe you are leaving Denver in a couple of weeks.
so happy you have that talker!!!
I imagine it would be stressful trying to come up with options for what MIGHT be wrong...
Post a Comment