Friday, March 13, 2009

Filling you in...

I was talking to my sister Angie yesterday afternoon, telling her about the CNA class, and she said, "hey-you're a quarter of the way done!". I hadn't even thought of it that way...and next week I will be halfway done!

Last night was our first quiz. It was over the first 6 chapters in the guidebook, one quiz for each chapter. I was fretting over it as there was only so much studying I can get done with Max full-time...housework full-time...therapy appointments...trying to remember the steps to the skills. Before I left, Steve told me I had nothing to worry about. That I had probably studied more than anyone else in the class.

I got there and sure enough...cramming is an understatement! I finished a good 30 minutes before every one else. But I don't know what my score is. We'll find out tomorrow.

I have three chapters to finish by Monday, so I'll do one each day this weekend. Last week we learned the skills:
Handwashing
Denture Care
Bed-Pan Placement
Positioning on side
Feeding
Dressing with affected side
Range of Motion
Applying stocking
Donning PPE Gown and Gloves
Washing foot
and wait for it...

How to read a thermometer

Good grief. I've got some skills that I could teach parents doing this. Like how to change a diaper in the dark at 3:00am...or how to get out of the way of projectile vomit just in time...or how to get your child to sleep by sitting in his bed...and then how to sneak out of the bed without waking him up...How to carry a 40lb. 5 year old up and down stairs...how to talk like a robot at the drop of a hat...

Oh yes...I could teach them all a thing or two! But I'm not there to teach them...I'm there to be taught. So, I'll push through and get done and then see what in the world can be done to make this more appropriate for family members working for their kids and pediatric workers, looking to get into the job of treating kids.

On to other things now...pictures!

Here's one of Max and Daddy on their new toy...
DSC_0029
(And no Olive hasn't grown, that was Dillon playing with us for a couple of days)

Speaking of Olive...
DSC_0087
She's spending the night at the kennel tonight. They are giving her a new "do" since Old Man Winter took her hostage this year. Bless her hairy heart.

Next week will be full too...
Our Abbey gets here Monday for Spring Break. Tuesday we get a visit from Steve's best man...and it's our 9 year anniversary!

Happy Weekend to you all!

No comments: