Monday, March 9, 2009

That's better...

Tonight I started my new CNA class. Despite under-estimating how much time it would take to get there, and showing up late, everything went really well.

We started out filling out a lot of forms for the class. Forms stating that we wouldn't violate privacy laws, and wouldn't steal from the old people. And the application for the test.

Then the teacher split us up into 3 groups, with 3 different nurses to teach us our first three skills for the test. We learned how to clean dentures, how to do range of motion exercises on the resident/patient, and how to wash our hands.

Just to give you an idea on the steps, that have to be followed, here are the steps to washing your hands.

First you knock on the door to enter. You address the resident/patient, and say, "Hello Mr. ---, my name is Deana, and I am your nurse assistant today." "I'm going to wash my hands.".

Next, you walk to the sink and turn on the water to a comfortable warm temperature.

Next, you wet your hands starting at the wrists, letting the water run down your hands into the sink.

Next, you get your soap and lather the soap all over your hands and wrists for 15 seconds, counting out loud, "1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5..."all the way to 15. After you wash your hands up to 15, you rub your fingernails on the opposite hand into the suds four times back and forth.

Next, you rinse your hands, starting at the wrists, letting the water run down your hands into the sink.

Next, you get one towel and dry your hands one at a time in four motions. A pat on the wrist, hand, fingers, then palm. Switch to the other hand, then throw the towel away.

Finally, take another towel and turn the water off.

This washing of hands isn't a very "green" operation! Same with cleaning the dentures...the water ran forever!!

That is one of the 24 skills, with just as many steps to remember. We have to say it all out loud, for memory purposes during the test, but also, so the instructor knows we know what to do. Redundant if you ask me, but I'll do what I'm told.

Now it's time for bed. I'll try to update now and then, but I gotta tell you this is going to tire me out! Thankfully, the class is only Monday through Thursday! And Max doesn't care if I had a full day or not...he still wants to carry on until midnight or later!

5 comments:

Danetta said...

To think that your mother never taught you the correct way to wash your hands is just so sad to me. I feel like such a failure.

Thia said...

I am glad that this class went much better!

dmartin said...

Thank God! I am glad it was a better experience for you. Hope in some tiny way you can actually enjoy it.
Love you

Anonymous said...

ha! the overuse of water always bothered me, too.

Aisha said...

You mom is so funny! And I am so glad this class was such a better one! All those handwashing steps are dizzying :) GOod luck with everything!