Thursday, March 5, 2009

Thinking on today...

Today I've got India on my mind...maybe that's why I haven't done a lot around the house. My head is in the clouds. Thinking, and reading, and remembering India.

Here are a few things I've run across today.

Sacred Cows blog on their maid in India. I came upon this blog after reading the book Salaam East End. I would still say this is one of my favorite books. An amazing read. Here Anu is writing about their maid in Delhi, what her day to day life is like. I especially enjoyed the part about the refrigerator...and how they use it. Quite resourceful! Sacred Cows

Steve came home this afternoon and said, "Your author was on the radio.". My author being Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni. She was on Talk Of The Nation today on NPR talking about her article in the LA Times on Slumdog Millionaire and the buzz around it. You can listen to it here 'Poverty Porn': Education Or Exploitation?

From that link, I went to Amazon to see if Chitra had any new books coming out, since I already have all of her other ones and have read them all. And sure enough, Shadowland, her third book in the Brotherhood of the Conch Series is coming out at the end of this month. Hooray!!!

Then I found her on Facebook and became a fan. And then I thought, okay enough already, get off the computer! But not before I could pass these links along. So there you go, friends...all for you...my spoils from a very unproductive day!

2 comments:

Aisha said...

your author is my author too!!! yay! :)

Anonymous said...

Shantaram finally became available at my library! I'm hoping to start it this weekend...if I can just plug through the last 100 pages of Three Cups of Tea... you know how I am - I have to finish one to begin the next.