Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Friends and cooking...

I got a very special gift today...
DSC_0010.JPG

This is from my friend in Libya. I pulled out the perfume and sprayed it right off...she told me it was her favorite. Now when I wear it I will think of you Zainab! It smells lovely!

I put the vase on my bookshelf right by my chair, and the sweets are the kitchen ready for tomorrow's tea time!

We have had quite an eventful couple of days. On Saturday our friend Arun came over for a visit. Our first friend in our new house. Arun was in our wedding, and we went to India for his. Steve lived with him and his wife when he had to work in CA after Max's brain surgery. We were talking about it the other day, he is OUR oldest friend. We both brought a couple of friends into the relationship that became both of our friends, but Arun was the first friend we made as a couple. He brought Max a laughing Elmo doll, which Max L-O-V-E-S!! And then we went to a tandori oven cafe place. When they brought the food to the table I asked for the chutneys as well. Arun looked at me and laughed. He said, "How far we've come! I can't believe Deana is asking for chutney!". He knows how ill I felt in India, and almost only would eat fish sandwiches at McDonalds! That or ice cream. Next he'll have to come over for some of my Indian Home Cookin'! I'm happy to be near them again!

We also went shopping a couple of places. We went into a really nice mall, and a shopping strip across from it. If you come visit me, we will go to this mall! Remember the perfume I told you about Steve got for our anniversary? The kind from London that is only sold in high end department stores? Well, they have stand alone stores in London, and in 4 stores around the country...and one of those places is HERE! We went in I smelled a couple that the Neiman Marcus didn't have in Denver, and a few others that were special additions...and walked away with six free sample bottles...HELLO! I'm taking the mom there when she comes to visit. Another place we'll have to spend way too much time in is the Bare Esscentuals store!

Today was a day full and I do mean FULL of phone calls. We finally got our home phone hooked up and I paid for that sucker with all that I got done today! I was mostly on the phone with insurance and doctors. What else is new. It actually felt really nice. (Who says that?) I guess it just felt productive and "normal".
I found a pediatrician for Max, and he'll see her next Tuesday. Which is great because she'll have to refer us on to nearly everything else. I'm so ready to get it all going again.

I also emailed up a storm to doctors and agencies. All in between cleaning and feeding Max. It was a pretty productive day. Steve was at the office all day, and when he got home we went to the biggest Indian grocery I've ever seen! It was fantastic. I bought a few ingredients, and a couple of kitchenwares that I've wanted from an Indian store. And rice, and biscuits (tea cookies), and tea, and peppers, and chutneys. It feels good to stock up again. We came home and I winged a couple of new dishes. I mostly just threw some onions and spices into the pan and went to town. I didn't have any chicken or shrimp, my main curry protein, but I did have stir fry beef, so I chucked that in. Surprisingly good! I will want to let the flavors meld a bit longer next time, but there was none leftover, so it must not have been too bad!

I'll make more phone calls tomorrow, and hopefully unpack a bit more. I wish I could just wave a magic wand to unpack, and everything go in the exact right place!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How great! Sounds like life is in full swing.