Monday, April 14, 2008

This is so long...

We went to San Francisco Saturday. It was supposed to be really warm, so we wanted to be closer to the water.

I'm still getting used to these streets when we come here!
DSC_0002.JPG

We got out to walk along the fisherman's wharf. It was so warm still! When we got out of the car at around 12:30 it was 86 degrees! We looked for something to eat and stopped at Boudin's. They're famous for their sourdough bread. I had a crabcake sandwich, and watched people walk along the wharf.

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0013.JPG

After eating, we walked back to the car, since the meter was about out of time. Here's the view we had as we walked back...
DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0021.JPG

DSC_0024.JPG (see all the sailboats?)

We got back to the car and decided to drive around and look at a few more sites. It seems all of San Francisco decided to go to the parks we thought we would go to, so we drove through them instead. Here's Max on that drive...with his favorite position in the car...
DSC_0029.JPG

We saw some cool trees in the park...including this monster of a tree...
DSC_0031.JPG

And bears!!!
DSC_0034.JPG

While driving through the park, Steve was following directions from the GPS, but I had no idea where we were headed. In just a few short minutes I found out though...
DSC_0037.JPG

We drove for a while, until we reached Half Moon Bay. Somewhere I was really excited to see. I've seen it on the travel channel several times and thought it was a place I would like...
DSC_0037.JPG (Sam, we'll have to eat here.)

I was right! It was gorgeous in real life! We drove until we found a beach that wasn't crazy crowded and got out to explore a bit.
DSC_0130.JPG

I was in jeans and t-shirt, and had no intention of getting in the water. Steve, however, had EVERY intention of getting in the water, and came prepared!

DSC_0078.JPG

And got Max in it too...
DSC_0192.JPG

And got him SOAKED...
DSC_0220.JPG

Max didn't mind though...he just wanted more! So he and Daddy played and played and played.

DSC_0267.JPG

Let me take a minute and explain this picture, and it's importance to me. As I watched Steve run and jump and twirl Max on the beach, I was reminded of this picture...

IMG_2086

That was taken in February of 2004. Just a couple of weeks before Max's diagnosis. It was his first big trip, first airplane ride, first time to the ocean. He seemed so calm there, much different from his constant cat-like crying. I remembered this picture the other day, because in this picture, Max is having a seizure. We didn't know that at the time, but since knowing that's what they were, I have always loved this photo. It reminded me that the Creator of this ocean was way bigger than Max's seizures, and we would soon find that out. Shortly after Max was diagnosed though, we were talking about what this meant for us, our hopes and dreams for our son were totally rocked after diagnoses. One of the things Steve said, was how he was sad that he was so happy playing with him at the beach, and he didn't know if/how/what it looked like for him and Max to get to play at the beach, or in the mountains, or travel together. It was s dream of a father for his son that couldn't be fulfilled in our minds at that time.

But the other day, when I saw Steve jumping and playing and twirling Max, the dream was fulfilled. And I couldn't help but feel so very very small next to that enormous ocean.

DSC_0305.JPG(If you click on this you can see our boy's big smile)

DSC_0382.JPG


It was their day...a day to play...and be father and son...
DSC_0340.JPG

DSC_0366.JPG

DSC_0393.JPG

After he and Daddy played and played, Max came to sit by me and Steve went back out to play for a while longer. He's a big kid!

DSC_0455.JPG

DSC_0538.JPG

DSC_0557.JPG

Those waves made him look very small too!
DSC_0620.JPG

We headed home shortly after this picture, it was getting late, and Max needed his medicine. But what a day!

Yesterday we headed out to Santa Cruz, to see the water there and the boardwalk. It was not a "picture" day, as I wanted to just take it all in. It was pretty hot again yesterday, and it was nice to be around the water all day. We drove a while away from the business of the boardwalk and came to this area of the coast that the kite boarders seem to really like. I nearly lost my husband to this opening...it was sucking him in with excitement!
My guess is one of these is in our garage within the year...
DSC_0016.JPG

After a day of walking around, and driving around checking out the different beaches, we decided to go towards the water as the sun was going down. We didn't watch the sunset, but the beaches were clearing, and we had a pretty open area.

Max and Steve sat in the beach chair while I went looking for shells.
IMG_9076.JPG

Then we traded off and I held Max while Steve went to play...this time with a wet suit on because that water was FREEZING!
IMG_9078.JPG

Max went to sleep here, and Steve played for a while, but this was what we were watching...quite relaxing!



And that is the end to our beach days...I can't believe we live so close to all of this! I can see that we'll find our favorite spots and spend a lot of time at the ocean now! And if you've made it this far in this post...either you are really bored or love us very much! ;)

11 comments:

Danetta said...

Guess which one applies to me.
I have to say when I saw the picture of Steve and Max and hadn't gone on to the next one yet, that is exactly what was in my mind. What a long way you all have come and what a great post this is. It touched all the emotions.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

If I have to choose, "I love you very much!" My mind went immediately to the same photo your mom speaks of. What a journey!

Anonymous said...

I made it!...and it is because I really LOVE you AND all the great pictures you posted! What a wonderful weekend!

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful weekend! i was reading the post and in my mind was the picture of steve holding max in 2004 and ofcourse your post took us to that point in time too!

ofcourse, needless to say - i love you very much and you know that with my2 brats and a big kid here ...i have no chance to be bored!

hugs and looking forward to seeing you.

-Vijay

She said...

I just breathed very deep reading this post. And then I let it out very slowly. Much love to all of you. And just why didn't you want to go to CA again? *grin*

Nancy said...

We love you very much and am glad to see you having fun at the beach.

Anonymous said...

Love you all very much

Unknown said...

Beautiful pics!

I so want to come visit!!

Mat and Kristin said...

I'm just now getting to catch up on all your posts, but I love all the pictures! The waves video made me feel like I was right there sitting next to you guys!

palomarace said...

this post was just beautiful is so many ways!