Monday, March 2, 2009

On to real life...

Well, my birthday is over, and of course I am sad. I do love my birthday, and it never fails that I get terribly sad when it's over. Must be a middle child thing, and loving getting all the attention!

It was a really nice weekend though. Wednesday, before my birthday, we went out to eat at Tamayo, in LoDo (that's Lower Downtown Denver). It was A-MA-ZING!!! Like, the BEST Mexican food I have ever had in my life. I was a little unsure going into it, because I had eaten there once before when I worked downtown, but I really didn't like what I got. But Steve and I both really loved what we got, and will make it a regular "fancy" date night place!

On my birthday, I woke up and had a little slice of this...
Coconut Flan from Paul Patisserie

Oh yes people...that is Coconut Flan from none other than Paul Patisserie. My FAVORITE eatery in all of London. Of course, it's not originally from London, but that's the only place I've had it, so it's my favorite place in London. Anyway, back to the flan. Before you go into convulsions, it doesn't have the consistency at all of flan, but of a mix between coconut pie and cheesecake. It taste like heaven in your mouth, and my husband got an entire one overnighted to me from the only Paul Patisserie in the states, Miami, FL. Go figure! So that's what I ate for breakfast on my birthday!

Then my mom was dropped off by my brother in law, and I got to hug on Addie for a few minutes. And we visited, and went to lunch at Jason's deli, then came home and got Max settled while Steve and I went to the mall for some shopping. I don't think I got much, just some candles. And my free birthday gift at Sephora...lipgloss.

Then we came home and got ready for dinner. It was a weekend of eating! This time, it was Table6. And it was exquisite. We've only been there one other time, but both times, I couldn't help but to wish I lived there. Right there in that restaurant. It looks like an old house, like an open loft type house, with this great little kitchen, and maybe 15 tables. I like to plan out where I would put my furniture in places like that. I'm pretty certain it would work out. We kept saying all the people we know who we would love to have dinner with there.

After dinner, we headed back to the house SO full and got a surprise video call from Abbey, and Dan and Ang showed up with pie and ice cream...also a surprise! During that time, mom gave me a few gifts. A couple were ice cream scoopers from my favorite dairy in Oklahoma. It's cheesy, I know, but they are really good scoopers, and in the moves last year, I lost mine! And then, the gift of all gifts this year.

Buttons

My Grandma's Button jar!!!!!!! I couldn't really believe my eyes when I opened the box. I was really shocked! I immediately went to the table and emptied them out and Ang and I went straight to work sorting them out by color. Dan said our nerd factor went way up because of it, but I don't even care! They might as well be jewels in a treasure box. I LOVE them! And it was fun to remember them all, and find new ones. It was such a special gift!

Friday, Steve headed out of town to Florida, and mom and I hung out until dinner at my friends' The Clark's. We had delicious PF Chang's. And this birthday cake that was scrummy...red velvet ice cream cake. Yowza!! Then Terry had come up with some really cute number games for us to play. It only took me a few times to figure out that they all were ending up with the answer of "30". :)

Saturday we had lunch with Ang and Dan, and then the rest of the day just hung around the house. Ang and I went to the store to get mom a few things to sew Max some onesies with.

Here's what she cranked out in like 5 minutes...it took me about 3 hours to try one.
Max's new onsies

Here it is on:Max's new onsies

And here is Max on a Queen sized bed...ENORMOUS!
Max's new onsies

Here's the one I made...not too shabby...
Max's new onsies

They are going to work out well I think. At least now he doesn't get a major wedgie from his onesies! I still have more I can make, but might have to get some more t-shirts first.

Saturday night I got as sick as a dog. I guess all the eating rich foods caught up with me. I was up a lot of the night, but fine the next morning. And thankfully, Max slept like a baby through it all.

Sunday mom went home, and I collapsed into a heap. Just kidding. But it was a good birthday weekend...and I was tired! Life is back on now. And after having a full day today, I have an even more full day tomorrow. We're having doggy company for a few days this week...won't Olive be happy! Me too...I like having that big bad dog bark to scare people with!!

For those of you who made it this far, I commend you for your faithfulness to my rambling blog! Thank you for all the birthday wishes.

6 comments:

Bonny said...

I LOVE the pictures. Happy Birthday my friend!

I recently had a discussion w some other women about their mom's/grandma's button collections and how we would all spend hours going through them. What is it about those buttons!!

Nancy said...

I am so glad that you had a great Birthday weekend. That restaurant sounds amazing. You know Mexican is our favorite and specially when it is different. And the coconut flan yum. I love coconut! Anything! I bet it was really good.
I knew those had to be Grandmas buttons when I saw the top of the picture. What is it about button jars that is so appealing to us? I love them they hold mysteries don't they? She really had a lot of buttons.
Your mom is so smart making those onesies for Max. Looks like they fit great. Have a great week.

Thia said...

What a fantastic birthday! I too like going places and arranging my furniture there...

Deana said...

Bonny, I don't know what it is about her button jar, I've always loved it, and remember always sorting through them when she would sew.

Aunt Nancy, you guys would really love Tamayo! And the coconut flan is the best dessert in the entire world!

Thia, My favorite place to go in a rearrange furniture in my mind is Ikea! I sure hope we get one soon here!

Danetta said...

I think that might be the best picture of me yet! I am glad you had a good birthday and even more glad that I got to spend it with you.

debbiearnn said...

Oh hooray! YOu got the buttons!!!
I've heard you talk about those before. :-)

Good idea on the onesies. I wondered what you would do because I know you like those for Max...and that at some point, they stop making them big enough for him. Good idea, Mamafro!!!