Saturday, March 13, 2010

London...it's the place for me...

We got up Tuesday morning and went down for our complimentary breakfast at the hotel. Then planned our meet-up with some of my dearest friends, Sam and Rachel, and their little one, Eloise.

We went to Covent Garden, and had a little sit down with hot chocolate and coffee...
Eloise, Rachel, and Sam

We picked up right where we left off two years ago...like no time had passed. Of course, spending the day with them made me wish we were still there. And wondered why we weren't...couldn't...didn't...but I had to let those feelings pass, and just enjoy the time we did have together. And remember, maybe some day...we'll be able to come back.

Eloise was an absolute doll. And tolerated us popping in and out of shops all afternoon! Sam too...he was a pretty good sport! At least he had his iphone to report all of our shopping escapades on facebook for my husband to keep informed!

We got to go to Rachel's favorite store, Cath Kidston, which we've planned on going to together since my first trip there. She always had told me about it, and I told her she would have to take me. It is a pretty fab store! Lots of fun little bags and household items. I walked out of there with some good finds!

After we shopped a bit, we made our way to Nando's...one of my favorite places to eat there! On the way we walked by Chinatown!
Chinatown in London

Here's lunch...
Nando's

No I did not eat that all...my eyes were bigger than my stomach! It was so so so good! We also met up with Rachel's friend Rhiannon at lunch. It was a great time of visiting, and relaxing a bit more before getting out for more shopping and walking.

We walked Regent Street and went into Hamley's...the HUGE toy store! This place is just insane! If you ever think Toys R Us at Christmas is crowded, make one trip to Hamley's, any time of the year! It was fun looking at all the toys though, and Eloise was fun to watch in there!

Once we finished shopping on Regent Street, we made our way by tube to Harrod's. We didn't feel the need to shop all of Harrod's, just the lower level to get a few things, and poke around in the food halls. I can't even imagine actually shopping for your food things at Harrod's. It's insanely expensive! But fun to look at! And great shopping bags and tea tins!

Kris caught this photo of me and Rachel walking in front of Harrod's. I love this shot...


We took the long way round to get back towards our hotel. And dreamed along the way of what it might be like to live in the fancy homes we passed by. We found our way to Whole Foods, Kensington, and went in to give Eloise her tea, and get a bite to eat ourselves.

Elosie and Rachel

I was still full from lunch, so I just shared some pizza with Kris. But, still more visiting, and feeling a bit sad knowing that I'd have to be saying goodbye to Sam and Rachel soon! We finally did have to bid adieu, and headed back to our hotel. I called Steve and chatted for a bit, and we decided to get back out since the rain had cleared. I had never seen London by night, so we saw a few of the familiar sites in the dark. I wish we wouldn't have been so tired to have done the same in Paris...cities are so different at night.

This was a perfect evening for a stroll. Lots of good conversation, and clean air to breathe it all in. This was why I came. I felt alive, and refreshed, and so happy that Steve sent me on my merry way.

We rode the tube to the palace,
Buckingham Palace

The Queen was home, but not entertaining guests...at least, not us...The Queen was home, but didn't want visitors.

We walked along the park all the way to Trafalger Square, then up to Big Ben/Parliament before catching the tube back to the hotel...and saw these sites along the way...
Through the park James

London Eye

Trafalger Square

Trafalger Square

Deana and Kris

Perfect night

I love London Town.

2 comments:

Sam Radford said...

Great write up Deana and some great pics!

Lauren said...

Ooo, I love that shot of the London Eye behind the fence!