Man...what a doozy of a day that was. I was holding Max because he was refusing to sit in any of his chairs without getting out of them. Our living-room looked like a durable medical equipment show-room. We had his wheelchair, wedge chair, beanbag seat, and chill-out chair all in there for his positioning needs, and he wasn't tolerating any of them.
So, after the hundredth time of pulling him up in one of his chairs, I got him up in the chair with me so I could feed him without him going all over the place.
I'll be the first to admit this is not the most flattering photo of myself...but an important capture all the same. It's an honest shot of what it's like sometimes around here. That same day was also filled with laughter, and playing, and having fun. But life with Max isn't a non-stop inspirational story.
Sometimes life with Max is just downright hard. There are moments of absolute exhaustion. And feeling completely inadequate for what he needs. And just needing to hold onto him for a few minutes to calm his ever-growing bursting at the seams self.
There has been a lot of regrouping going on in my head the past couple of weeks. I've been a bit more quiet online, because we're going through a growth developmentally, and, physically with Max. And when that happens...that means all my energy needs to be focused on him.
I'm hoping the week ahead has a lot less clutter in my mind, and a lot more clarity on how to move ahead with all the things that I need to do to get Max to the next level he's trying to get to.
5 comments:
This sounds like most of my days with the babies! I don't know how many days I'm rotating the babies from the crib to the bouncer to the swing to the floor on their activity mat and back into my arms where they usually end up happiest. That's what I thought of when I saw your picture - I think sometimes kids are just happiest in Mama's arms.
What a big guy he is! How tall is he? I am glad that you finally found a way to get him to sit and calm down. Sometimes as mothers, their activity/need for motion can wear us right down! Like over exposure to too much activity/noise.
This post was so effective for contextualizing the photo and capturing a reality of many parents.
This post might just come to my mind for linking into a post sometime. ;)
Kristin, you've got your hands full with TWO babies!! They'll be rolling and crawling around before you know it!!! But, I'm sure they will still think Mama's arms are still the best place!
Thia, he's right at about 4 feet tall. I just wish I could figure out how to let him use all his energy without wearing me out. To get him to move, it always means holding him up in some way. If I leave him on the floor to roll around, he'll throw up once he sits up.
Barbara, I tried to comment on your blog...which I can finally see again, but can't comment on. Don't know what the problem is...but I'll keep trying. We're going to try swimming with Max again this year. We're hoping to go to some of the local "lakes" here to see how he likes them. Too bad we don't have the ocean for him to enjoy!
I don't know what to say about not being able to comment on my blog. One other blogger c/o that a while back and then the problem magically disappeared. When I asked my techie friend, he said much of what happens along those lines are all managed by the 'man behind the curtain'. So pay your dues to Oz, I guess, and please keep trying.
My (new) browser sometimes does not give links on the first try - I can see the url in the bar, and the screen is an error message. By re-entering the url in the bar, the site usually comes up.
Thank you for trying, and I hope lots of people visit you from my place today - and see your top post, too. Barbara
Post a Comment