Thursday, April 3, 2008

Filipinolive...

Today started calmly. I woke up happy because Steve would be home later, and prepared to get some stuff done.

I got up, made Max's bottle, fed him, got in the shower, then set to take Olive out to the front yard to do her business.

She was just standing there and shivering, not doing anything important, so I brought her back inside and went out to the garage to start some laundry. I opened the side door to see if she would step out there and go.

That's when she made her run for it! I stepped inside the door to start the dryer, and stepped right back out to see what she was up to. She wasn't there! I called for her, but she didn't come.

I ran to the front yard through the house, and she wasn't ANYWHERE to be seen!

Oh GREAAAT!!! I ran back in the house and got Max in his stroller, then set out on foot around the block. I had no idea where to look. I've only taken her on two long walks in this neighborhood. Both times in different directions. I couldn't even begin to think where she would have gone to. She's never run away before.

I had Steve on the phone, and I was freaking out! We live so close to busy roads and train tracks that frequent big enormous fast trains that would smoosh her flat!

I went back home and got Max in the car and we drove around the neighborhood a couple of times, and still didn't see any sight of her. I decided to go home and sit tight for a few minutes. Steve was trying to calm me down and I thought I heard a dog barking.

I got Max BACK in his stroller and set out on foot again listening for the bark. I thought maybe she had found her way in some yard and couldn't get out. After walking slowly and whistling for her...feeling like a complete idiot. I decided to go back home and call our Vet in Denver. I said Olive's name and they said, "Someone has her, but the spoke very broken English...and I think he said she was at a restaurant.".

They gave me the number to call and I made short time of calling them up. Sure enough. She was down the street at a restaurant. One that I could not understand the name of, but I got the address for.

I put Max back in the car, and punched the address into the gps. As I reached it, I saw that it was the Filipino restaurant next to the Filipino grocery store down the street. I got Max out of the car and into his stroller to go in to look for her.

I walked in and it was walking into an old Western saloon...full of Filipinos eating Filipino food. Everyone stopped and looked at me. The lady behind the counter said, "You're dog?", I said yes, and then felt little paws on my leg.

She was just hanging out eating food from table to table. They all wanted to know her name, and where we were from, and how long we had been here. It was unbelievable. The most strange experience I've had in a long time. They just brought her inside their restaurant during the rush of lunch hour and feeding her from table to table. They all seemed to like the mix to their day.

I thanked them all and away we went. Back to the car...where I once again put Max in his seat and put his stroller up. I got in the car to see Olive digging into the pile of treats I had thrown in the cup holder in hopes of finding her.

I wasn't mad at her...just so so so annoyed. Bless her poor puppy heart. She's been from one end of the Western world to the other in the past month. I don't guess I can blame her too much...I guess sometimes I feel like making a run for it and and ending up somewhere that people just dote and feed me! HA!!!

So, just in case you ever wondered...there is never a boring day here. Even when I want one!

6 comments:

Danetta said...

Oh that Olive. I don't know whether to laugh or cry right now. I am so glad she is ok. BUT I know that dog and she knows how to get back there...

Deana said...

Totally...she might think she needs to go for rice and the hottest Filipino music every day!

Anonymous said...

oh goodness. am glad you found her!

V. said...

been there....these little mutts carve such a place in our lives that absolutely everything stops to go and find them!

so glad it had a happy ending!

V.

She said...

She has wonderlust and likes cultural foods like her mama

Chi said...

that is the best story ever! im sorry you had to go searching everywhere~but I am glad you found her!