We had green-beans with onions and bacon, cornbread(baked in a cast-iron skillet), summer squash, and cucumber-tomato salad (the kind with red wine vinegar and oil).
For dessert...Nanny Cobbler! We had a lot of berries that needed to be used up, and in my book, that automatically means pie or cobbler. Steve would just eat them straight from the container, but Steve's not here. Hahaha!
This may be the easiest dessert you'll ever make. Give it a try!
First, melt one stick of butter in the microwave. Yes I said ONE STICK OF BUTTER...the real stuff too. Once that's melted, set it aside.
Take 1 cup of self-rising flour and put it in a mixing bowl. If you don't have self-rising flour, just take your cup of flour and add 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt, it does the same trick.
Next, add one cup of sugar to the flour, and whisk them together. Then comes the milk, 1 cup of milk, add that and whisk it all until smooth.
Now you'll take that ONE STICK OF MELTED BUTTER and dump it in. Give the whole bowl another good whisk until the butter is blended in with the rest of the batter.
Once it's all mixed in, pour it into a buttered (just use the wrapper from the stick you just used) baking dish.
All you have to do now is add the fruit...that's what makes it healthy. I chose, a cup of raspberries, a whole mango, a heaping handful of blueberries, and the rest of the blackberries, I am guessing about a 1/4 cup. This is the first time I've tried this with berries, any time I ever ate this as a child it was full of peaches....mmmmm peach cobbler.
Okay...back to the cobbler tonight.
Here it is before I put it in the 350 degree pre-heated oven.

Oops...I forgot...add another 1/4 cup of sugar on top to give it a shiny top.

THEN stick it in the oven.
You'll bake it for an hour. And don't be like me and go checking on it every 15 minutes to see if it is still there. It will still be there...take my word for it.

With about 10 minutes to go, I put another spoon of sugar on top. I think next time I will skip this step. It didn't make it too sweet, I just didn't like the way it looked in the end.

I got myself a little bowl once it had cooled a bit. Normally I would eat this with vanilla ice cream, but I wasn't feeling like scooping it. (That's what my husband is for!) So I went instead with the Redi-Whip. It did the trick just fine!

There it is friends, the best cobbler IN THE WORLD! I challenge you to make a better tasting, easier cobbler than this! I think I would have made Nanny proud with this one! Of course, I'd take her peach cobbler to just about any dessert any day of the week! I sure hope there is some left for Steve tomorrow night. If not, I guess I'll just have to make another one just for him.
2 comments:
why didn't you call a sista about a dessert like that???
wow! nice work... and how can you go wrong with a stick of butter!
Post a Comment